Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Valentine's Day


This year B1 and I decided that we would not exchange gifts on Valentine's Day and that instead we'd just have a nice dinner out and exchange cards.  It was actually quite nice, not having to rack my brain thinking of a clever gift to give my lover on a day that's kind of geared toward women.  And also, his birthday is next month, along with our 4 year anniversary of being together, and we are going on a long weekend trip to celebrate all of those things.

Lately I've been all about going to places I've always wanted to go to.  The list is long, and I'm not quite sure why, in the 5.5 years I've lived here, I haven't crossed more of these places off of my list.  In any case, I chose a local crab shack as our Valentine's Day destination.  It's a tourist trap, for sure, but even still, I've always wanted to go, and I'm glad we did.

The reviews are mixed.  Most locals don't like it because it's a tourist trap, and most tourists don't like it because it's expensive and the service can be slow.  But I'll tell you why I loved it.  Not only were the crabs delicious, but the atmosphere is very...coastal.  The view was of the docks and the harbor, along with the city's skyscrapers.  Inside, the lights were dim and the air warm, thanks to a wood fired stove in the corner.  And from the ceiling dripped lobster traps with white lights inside of them.  It was charming, relaxed, and it just felt good to be there.

The service was a little slow, but we weren't in a hurry, so we didn't mind.  Overall, it was a wonderful choice for us, and I'm happy we went.  And, it's another restaurant crossed off my list, so I can make room for others.

No comments: