Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Honey, You Shrunk Our Boat!

Every time I tell someone new that my husband and I live on a boat, I get the whole list of questions again.  "Do you have heat? How do you go to the bathroom? Do you have running water?"  It goes with the territory, but sometimes I wonder why people ask the questions they do.  One question I understand getting is the one about how we shrinkwrap our boat.  For about two weeks now, I've been trying to write a post about it to show you just how it happens, but I've been swamped.  So, instead of writing it out, here's the process, in pictures (with some commentary).


Home sweet home, at the beginning.  Taking down the boom and building the frame.

Laying the top of the frame out on the dock before raising it to the boat.



My sexy husband.  Goes without saying, right?





Progress.  Almost there!




Building the door.

Our friends in various stages of shrink.






Friends helping friends.  There's a whole group that roams around the marina helping each other out during this time.  It's lovely.

Our ring leader using a dinghy to shrink the water side of the boat.



Getting covered.







More dinghy work. :)

Protege and also, the inside.

All covered, ready to shrink!

I provided lunch for the group that day...

B1 patching holes made for our lines.


...and there you have it.  Except for the final product, you've got the whole picture.  It's quite the process, and for some people, it can be very frustrating.  One set of friends for instance, said this will be the last year they do their own wrap.  They'll pay someone next year.  (They'll spend about $500-$800 more than we will.)  Overall, I love the process and love living under the wrap.  It's quite cozy and it makes for extra storage space in the winter!  I'll try to post an updated picture of it all wrapped (with our door in place!) soon.

No comments: