Friday, October 11, 2013

Inspirational Spam

 I'm on day 3 of my diet and so far, I think I'm doing very well.  I haven't cheated at all, and haven't even thought of cheating.  For the most part, I've been full.  The first day I was hungry, but I think it just that I didn't prepare my morning shake the right way, and therefore didn't fill my belly right off the bat.  I ate a lot of fruit that day...a lot. 

The premise of this diet is that you have at least 3 shakes, 2 entrees, and 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.  So that's a shake for breakfast, a morning snack and an evening snack.  There are hundreds of recipes out there for tasty new ways of blending the shakes to give you a different flavor eat time, and so far, it's helped me stay on track.  There are even ways to make the shakes into puddings and even ice cream!  I think I'll try that this weekend.  The entrees aren't amazing.  They are all brownish red and all have a similar flavor profile so far.  Which worries me, but you know what?  This isn't forever.  I won't always be on this program and if I stick to it and get moving again I WILL see results.  And it will help get me on the right track which will help me live a longer, happier life.

So I think I can suck it up.  Tonight is my first challenge.  I'm going to the mall with a good friend of mine.  Bad news: The smell of those pretzels wafts through the entire mall and I'll have to resist the urge to buy one to snack on.  Good news: This friend is on the same diet and has lost almost 40 pounds already so she will be both my inspiration and my willpower at the same time.  My second challenge comes on Sunday.  B1 and I are traveling up to NH to a friend's house to do recipe testing for my cookbook.  I've already said that I won't let this diet completely run our lives-that we'll still go out with friends and go to dinner now and then, and that I'd just be more careful with the food I order.  I also said that since I'm writing a cookbook, I'll eat the food we're testing.  (That's sort of the whole point, right?)  BUT, since this is the first week, I'd really, REALLY like to stay on the diet 100% to get into the habit of not cheating.  (Once you open that door, it's all over.)  It's easier not to cheat once you're seeing results.  But on the first week-even during the 2nd week-results come in small numbers on the scale.  Rewarding?  Yes.  But typically not enough to outweigh the freshly baked gingerbread cupcake that's sitting in front of you.  So on Sunday I'll bring my own food (including a pudding) and only take a bite of each dish to make sure it was prepared correctly.  And I'll remember why I started in the first place and how I got to where I currently am:


 It's not going to be easy.  B1 is on board and he knows that this is important to me.  So he isn't complaining about having to cook himself dinner when he gets home at night.  (Our plan is that I'll cook extra vegetables and then he'll cook his protein when he gets home.)  But again, it's not going to be easy.  Especially when his protein is hot dogs, like they were on day one of this diet. 

I wasn't hungry when he got home, but when I smelled the hot dogs being fried in butter my mouth started to water.  So I grabbed an orange and started peeling it to distract myself.  Then I ate slowly while not looking at my beautiful husband.  And then I got some strawberries and ate them too.  And when I was done, I breathed through my mouth so I didn't have to smell the deliciousness that couldn't be mine.  And then I went to bed.

But I didn't cheat.  And I stayed on the diet, and I felt satisfied and proud of myself for not giving in.  Because I'm too fat to be healthy and happy.  And that has to change.


1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

Keep your goal in mind. If this is truly what you want, you should be able to find those little ways to get there...like eating that fruit to fill you up.