Thursday, September 19, 2013

First Anniversary

It's amazing to me that our wedding happened a year ago already...on Saturday, B1 and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary.







Our plan was originally to drive up to Maine and to go camping, and to go on a Moose Safari (yes, really).  But we woke up on Friday morning to a grim forecast and dark skies:
 
So B1 booked a cute little bed and breakfast for us instead!

On Saturday we drove to Baxter State Park and explored.  It was an absolutely beautiful day and the perfect way to spend our anniversary.






Now, for those of you who don't know, I've been searching for a real live moose since 1994.  Really.  And we go up to NH at least twice a year-in the summer to camp and in the winter to stay in a little cabin in the woods-and NEVER have I seen a stupid moose.  Never.  Which is why we booked a moose tour.  It was planned for 4pm on the 14th...just about 1 hour before we were wed the year before. 

On the way to the trail, while we were still in our car, WE SAW A MOOSE!!!  There he was, right in the middle of the road.  It was amazing.  Sadly, I don't have a picture because I was driving and there was someone behind me.  So even though I pulled over slowly, they zoomed around me, not caring that there was a magnificent beast in our midst, and they scared him away.  But, I saw one.  I am no longer a moose virgin.

Of course after that, I was rapid for more.  While we were walking I saw some poop.  I think this is too small for moose, but it still gave me hope.

The woods in this part of Maine are amazing.  Look at how green and mossy they are!






Year 1-Check!





We did not see another moose.  Even though we took a 3 hour moose tour by pontoon boat.  (Yes, really.)  It was gorgeous though...



...and cold.





At one point I looked over and almost pooped my pants because I thought this was a moose.  Nope.  Just a pile of dead branches.  But if you're on the lookout and haven't seen one, it really tricks ya!





Though it doesn't much look like it in pictures, this actually really looks like a moose snout sticking up out of the water.  You know how you want something so bad that your brain starts tricking you?  Yeah...that place.









...It was REALLY cold coming back.

After our tour we had a lovely dinner in the lodge with hot soup, steak and chocolate cake.  Couldn't get better than that.

Oh-I forgot about him-this creepy bear was facing our bed when we checked in.  I turned him around because he was freaking me out.  I'm hoping the innkeeper removes him from the room when she sees that he's facing the wall.

On Sunday we took the coastal route home (my favorite) and made a pit stop in Acadia.  So. Gorgeous.





...and Bar Harbor...




We also made our way back to Conte's restaurant which was featured on our favorite episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain.  He's this crazy dude who cooks crazy amounts of food with crazy amounts of garlic for crazy cheap.  For instance, this time I had pasta with fra diavolo sauce and 3 lobster tails (yes, 3-oh and a claw just thrown in) for $26.  Yes.  $26.  CRAZY.  We love it there.

Maine is, so far, easily my favorite state and I can see us living there one day when we are older.  I love that everything is so lush and green.  The air smells so good there too.  And you have the ocean AND the woods-all together...the best of both worlds.  Perfect.

So there you have it.  Year 1 is under our belt and we're eagerly looking forward to what year 2 has to bring.

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

Happy anniversary!