Friday, September 27, 2013

Ambition

I go through these weird, multi-year ruts where I don't have any interest in anything.  Or where I am interested in too much and get overwhelmed and then end up doing nothing because I can't choose just one.  And then all of a sudden I wake up and realize that I'm not doing anything and am becoming the most boring person alive.  That's where I was a couple of weeks ago.  Light dawned on marble head, and I signed up for a pottery class.

Which, by the way, is awesome.  It's a wheel throwing class and while I'm not very good at it (but not horrible) it's amazing to be back at the wheel.  I have actually been looking forward to class since the day after class ended.  Which hasn't happened to me in a while and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to get back into it.  (It's been since high school-and I've been wanting to take a class for years.)  And so once a week, I spend a few hours in an art classes making pottery.

...and now I'm starting to think about other things I should be doing.

Like getting healthy again (aka, starting a serious diet), learning to play my beautiful left-handed guitar that I bought myself in July (I'm starting back up again next week), getting out and meeting new people (I signed up for more Meetup events) and returning to the idea of writing a cookbook. 

I'm really digging the last one because I was really excited about it when I first started and then it just dropped off of my radar.  Last night when I was cooking dinner I remembered how excited I was and how great it felt thinking that people would be cooking my food.  And I thought that it's the perfect time of year because Christmas is coming, and perhaps people would like to buy a copy or two for gifts.  (Maybe?)  So I'm revisiting this project with vigor and hope to have something out in time for Black Friday.  That's my goal anyway.

The last time I worked on this project I asked my friends to test my recipes in their own homes without me there.  I felt very removed from the process and found it difficult to really understand where they were struggling or to see if the food came out as it should.  The trouble with writing a cookbook, for me, is that I don't often measure anything.  I just sort of know how much to add or not, and how to adjust the temperature, taste, feel of whatever it is I'm doing, to make the final product delicious.  So writing those things out step by step is difficult and I found that I sometimes left out important things in the directions which causes my friends to fail.  So this time, I am going to ask my friends if I can come over with a recipe and raw ingredients and have them cook FOR me while I'm watching so that I can see their struggles (or hopefully not) and taste the food they make.  I'm hoping that this will not only allow me to reconnect with friends I've not seen in a while, but also help speed my process up a bit and to get more accurate results.

Here's hopin' at least!

And maybe-just maybe-this will really work out this time and I'll be the author of a cookbook by the end of November.  Want to buy a copy???

1 comment:

Travis Cody said...

As my dad is fond of saying, time is going to pass anyway so you might as well do something while it does.

Good for you to find some of those things that have fallen aside and get back into them.