Monday, November 26, 2012

Honey, You Shrunk Our Boat!

We're almost shrunk! During the winter months, live aboards generally shrink wrap their boats to add an extra layer of insulation between the boat and the elements.  It also stops the snow-which will inevitably come-from getting on the boat. 

B1 built a frame and then he and a bunch of our neighbors covered the frame with plastic.  Tomorrow, a propane heated gun (with fire) will be swooshed along the edges which will shrink the plastic tight.  This is what our home looks like today:
 
It's kind of amazing how much room we have in the cockpit.  It's like a huge greenhouse/enclosed porch.  I'm told it gets so warm in there during the winter, that we'll be sitting inside with shorts and tshirts on...I'm not sure about that, but we'll see.  Either way, I'm psyched that it'll be done tomorrow and we can begin to hang out in our greenhouse.  Kind of cool, huh?

I've also begun decorating. This has been put off up until now because we've had to do things like pump out the diesel that spilled and fix poopy toilets and water tanks.  But now, I get to make curtains, recover pillows and paint counter tops.  YES!  Paint counter tops!  The previous owners refinished the laminate counters with an ugly pinkish-tan faux finish spray paint.  It's OK, but really, really boring.  It's the same tone as the cushions (which they also re-did-and we like them) so it's very...vanilla inside.  So not us.  This is what it looked like before:


And this is what it looks like now:


It's appropriately called "safe harbor" and it's very turquoise.  There are two other surfaces (a dining table and a little ledge) also painted this color.  It really adds a bit of whimsy to the place.  I have a few more coats to do before it's really done, but I think it's really going to rock.  And I guarantee that no one else will have turquoise counters.

This weekend we also strung up some Christmas lights and bought a wreath.  I'll take and share photos once it's all done.

In other news-we really love that we are within walking distance of the "little Italy" section of our city.  It's marvelous being able to walk over for dinner.  And pastries. :)

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

You had a rough start, but it sounds like you're on you're way now.

Desert Songbird said...

Congrats! Looks like things are back on track.

LceeL said...

Pastries? Did you say Pastries? You're trying to tempt me, aren't you? I may have to get LM(Love Muffin) to sneak me into her suitcase when she flies out to Providence next week - so I can come visit. On the other hand - I think, my boss might object.