Sunday, October 07, 2012

Stuff


B1 and I are having a really good time.  I mean, we pretty much have a good time no matter what we're doing and where we are, but we're having so much fun getting ready for our new home.  Yesterday we went to Target and bought new dishes (melamine material so they don't break) that are turquoise.  They look like ceramic and I love them.  The color reminds me of the water in Bermuda.  Not the light blue that you see in the pictures of the beach-more like the deep blue that you see when you're in the middle, like when we were snorkeling.

Then we bought four plastic bins for our clothes.  These will serve as our dresser.  Our boat has two bedrooms and one of them we will use as our closet/attic.  And probably most important, we bought a ceramic heater which blows warm air.  That'll be part of what keeps us warm this winter.  (The boat will be shrink wrapped too-I'll post about that and show pictures when it's happening.)

One of our wedding presents was a gift card to Amazon-which was one of the places we registered.  It was a nice size gift, an we were able to pretty much clear our registry of almost everything we didn't get and more.  We ordered 3 stainless steel kitchen utensils, two wine glasses (also melamine-to match the others we received), dish towels, a can opener, a set of 400 count sheets, oven mitts and a cool trivet.  The flower below is the trivet!

I think we're going to decorate with turquoise, gray and yellow like the mitt above.

THEN, today, we bought a dehumidifier (which we got a with a gift card that we received from the people who took our old boat) and we shopped for a fridge (mini, but with a real freezer) and tile for the bathroom and kitchen.  And...tomorrow we're going to the Cape to look at an oven.

It's pretty exciting to be getting all of these new things for our new home.  It's just stuff, but it's stuff for a home that B1 and I will own together because we're MARRIED.  Still crazy.

And the funny thing is-we're getting rid of pretty much everything we own.  Which is sort of liberating, actually.  For years I've been keeping certain things (mostly clothes) but haven't actually worn any of it.  And now I have a HUGE pile to be donated.  I have boxes and boxes of cookbooks and novels that I'm giving away.  And people all over are getting our furniture.  It's pretty cool.

As B1 recently said, "We're about to become the craziest people most people know."

6 comments:

ClancyPants said...

Actually, you're about to become the craziest people I don't know. Well, not technically, in real life anyway. ;-)

This is so exciting! I can't wait to hear more. And the shrink-wrapped boat? Esp. can't wait to hear about that. ?? ♥

Travis Cody said...

Nice! You've got your together identity already...the crazy folks who live on that boat!

Desert Songbird said...

Yeah, Travis, they'll be the crazy people who live on a boat in a NORTHERN climate! I mean, if it were in Hawaii, or even Florida, I wouldn't think they were that crazy..... ;-)

Mags said...

Hahahaha...there are only about 100 people who live in the state who live aboard year round...and we're about to join that crowd.

It's going to be interesting. And probably a little cold. But not as cold as everything thinks, I don't think. I'll let you know! :)

Lauren said...

what is a trivet? I didnt know you cold be in the boat while shrink wrapped. I know this is what people do to boats during winter but I guess I dont understand exactly what it is because I am picturing you two stuffed in a basket with a hairdryer squishing you together LOL so I am interested to learn about it. YAY <3

Mags said...

Lash, a trivet is the thing you put under hot pots when you want to put them on the counter or table. This one is rubbery and can be wrapped around things too. I'm so excited to see it in person. Though we won't get this shipment for another month, I think. Crazy!! (Stupid Amazon)

I'll show you a picture if it happens. We build a frame around the boat which includes a door. Then the wrap is put over that and it creates a space around the boat-sort of like a screened in porch.