Thursday, July 12, 2012

Stealthy Smurf

I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at figuring out surprises or gifts.  I don't try to do this-contrary to my loved ones' beliefs-things just form together in my head based on things others have said and boom-I know about the present you got me.

It's why, when B1 was telling my sister and her boyfriend that he was proposing the following day, they told him to be quiet and be careful because I "figure things out".  (Though looking back at things, I totally should have known.  Totally.  I think I just had vacation brain and was deliriously happy that we were at Disney together.)

So.  I'm 99.9% sure that on Tuesday, my work friends and the entire floor of my building are throwing me a bridal shower.  Three things:

1.  I wish they would tell me.  I don't enjoy this kind of surprise.
2. I wish I didn't (think) I know about it.
3. I hope I am right. (We all know how much I love presents!)

Why do I think this?  Well, a good friend of mine has been looking at our wedding website pretty extensively for the last month.  This isn't odd because she likes looking at it and reading it because she's really the nicest person I know and is really happy for us.  But I noticed that she's been looking at our two registries a lot lately too (it's linked on our website and I can see if she exits to that page. Oh shut up.  You know I'm a stats whore!)  Which also wouldn't be odd because we're good friends and it wouldn't surprise me if she got us a gift.  But what is weird is that the other day I walked by her desk and noticed she was looking at our amazon list.  And instead of just smiling and acting normal, she hid her screen.

Then one of our friends asked to schedule a meeting on Tuesday and before I could answer that it wouldn't work for me, the registry girl called one of my staff to come to her desk (in another room).  When my staff member came back to her desk, my friend sent and email saying that the time wouldn't work for her and could it be another time?  And, funny enough, my boss has a random "do not schedule" block on Tuesday.  Which is odd enough because, well, she doesn't touch her calendar.  I do it all.  And also, the other two deans have that same "do not book" on their calendars.

And today, one of the guys from university council was at my friends desk with his wallet open.  I happened to walk over to put some mail in her inbox and saw the exchange.  I wouldn't have though much of this (because sometimes we order lunch and people pay her) except that he looked like he got caught and she said really loudly, HI MAGS! as I walked up, to alert him not to say anything I assume.

I could cheat right now and look at our registry to see if anything has been bought, but that would ruin ALL of the fun.  I won't do that.

I asked B1 if he knows anything about this and he claims that he does not.  I asked him why he thinks that they are trying to surprise me (because we've had showers before, but none were surprises) and he said he thinks it's because I'm the party planner and gift buyer and they probably want to make it special for me.

That makes sense.  But still...I wish it wasn't an ambush!  At least I (hopefully) figured it out so that I can be sure to dress nicer than normal on Tuesday.  Maybe I'll do that Monday too, so I don't tip them off that I knew.  I don't want to ruin it for them, after all.

3 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

I would totally laugh my butt off at you but I am exactly the same way and would come to exactly the same conclusion. :)
Enjoy yourself Tuesday! :)

Desert Songbird said...

Just sit back and enjoy the surprise. It's part of the fun for the planners.

Ivanhoe said...

You, little detective, you! Try to enjoy it yourself :)
Hope to hear all about the presents later ;)