Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bat Shit Crazy

There exists a person who gets under my skin.  I know, you can't believe it, right?  This person was brought into my life because we couldn't find anyone better.  Truthfully, after we met her we all said, "She was nice.  But if someone better comes along, we'd like to bring them in, instead.  She wouldn't be our first choice."

But no one else came in and so this person was hired.

At first, we all thought it was going to work out.  And in fact, it did for the most part.  But then we realized that she is a little weird: touting how famous she is and telling people how wonderful she is.  And I'm not kidding-she actually said, "I'm famous." to one of the big wigs.  A few of us chatted together and joked about how crazy she seemed but we moved on.

Except now it's basically just me there, with her.  And instead of my colleague she's now my employee.  And she tells me all of the time how awesome she is and how much better she does the job than the people who were there before her. 

Which, you know...in some ways is true, but in many, many ways, is not.

And there is one thing that people do that I hate the most-and she does this.  And that one thing I hate the most is that she tries too hard to be different and weird.  Because really, she's not.  If you're weird, you're weird.  You don't have to try so hard to fit into different groups-you just...do.  Or you don't.  But you don't modify yourself and your actions based on who you want to like you at that moment.

I recently hired another person to come into the office, and she's trying her very hardest to be this new persons favorite person.  And it is, quite frankly, embarrassing.  The new person is very sweet and young and I don't think that she realizes it or cares, but to watch it from afar, it's...sad. 

B1 says that she's the type of person who needs a "thing".  Something wrong, something crazy, something to shock you.  Never just...there.  Bat shit crazy, I think is the term he used.

And so, while she drives me crazy, I'm trying my best to see her for what she really is.  A sad, probably lonely, disturbed young woman who has no idea who the fuck she is or who she wants to be.  I remember that feeling, and it isn't a good one-especially if you realize you're floundering when it's happening.

But she might not actually know. 

In any case, I'm trying my best.  I keep quiet, I go about my job and when something needs to be said, I say it.  And then I come home and talk to my B1 and tell him the latest crazy thing she said.  And all is right with the world.

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

We've got a guy in the office who bugs me. I won't go into details, but I get where you're coming from.

Hang in there. I keep telling myself that I can only control my attitude and reactions. Then I work on trying to be professional.

Ivanhoe said...

Never heard about bat shit crazy! I noticed how much my attitude changes based on my surroundings. When I'm with the downers they bring me down. I keep smiling when I'm around the cheery ones :)