Friday, April 20, 2012

10 Cakes

Last week my niece Rye Bread turned 10.  This is both depressing and amazing at the same time.  It's sad because she's growing up, but amazing for that same reason.  I worry more and more about her innocence and her self-esteem and the people who will try to hurt her (or hurt her without trying).  But she's a smart one, and my hope for her is that her compassionate, creative heart will carry her through those rough patches.  Here are some photos from her party last week...

The birthday girl.  How the heck is she 10 already?!?!
Rye Bread's 10 Birthday Cake.  Base & mechanics by my B1, cake (the ball) by me.  With serious help from B1 who had the idea to just stuff the cake into the pans after they broke.  It ended up being one huge cake pop, really...


It shimmered thanks to luster dust and had a light pink marble in it-but it's hard to tell.  Also, I had to use gel to write the 10 and to make the finger holes, and I wish I had something else.  That stuff drips.  Ick.

My Rye Bread & I in front of the 10th cake I've made for her.  Seriously-how is she 10?!?!
Making a wish...I hope she gets every last one.


If you're wondering why it was a bowling ball, it's because it was a bowling party.  My entire family plus a couple of Rye's friends had two lanes for about two hours.  I didn't bowl b/c I'm not quite up for hauling big balls yet but everyone else did and it was a blast.  It was fun to watch everyone having so much fun playing a game that we don't often play.

4 comments:

Travis Cody said...

That is awesome CAKE.

ClancyPants said...

You said "hauling big balls"

Snigger...

ClancyPants said...

But seriously, awesome cake!! And 10? It's weird, right? My son is going to be twelve in July... and my Ella will be 10 too, in May. In a dream world of mine, I'd have Rye Bread over to play with Ella. :)

Good job on the cake! (Travis and his cake fetish...)

Mags said...

Thanks to you both!! Clancy, I chuckled when I wrote it, too. :)