Sunday, March 04, 2012

Horizontal

It's been a long week. On Wednesday I had back surgery to correct the two discs that ruptured when I fell down the stairs last year. The surgery itself wasn't bad. In fact, it all went really smoothly. They didn't even have me count down to sleep, I just kind of fell and when I woke up, I was in the first recovery bay. I stayed there for about 20 minutes, I think and then they wheeled me into the final recovery room where I felt very neglected, actually. The nurse that helped me at first seemed to disappear and after she gave me crackers and ginger ale, she was gone. Thankfully they let B1 come in and he helped keep me comfortable (they had me in a funny position) and then helped me get dressed. Surgery was at 8:30am and by 3:30pm I was back home in bed heavily drugged.

Since then I've pretty much been horizontal with the exception of 30 minute breaks when I eat. It's grueling. I know it doesn't sound like it, but I have never hated my sofa as much as I do today. The thought of having to lay down for another week at least is really killing me. Yes, we've watched movies and tv and I have books, but it's really boring. I just really want to go outside and feel the air on my skin or hop into the car and drive and explore.

Soon, I know. But staying still isn't my strong suit.

As far as they can tell, the surgery was a success. But when I walk right now, I still feel the pull in my leg which worries me. This could be because they moved the nerve around during surgery and they did mention that I'd feel something, but I'm scared. What if it didn't work? I'm going to be so very depressed if it didn't.

Through this whole ordeal, B1 has been my saving grace. I really can't begin to tell you all how wonderful he is. He's taken on everything that I typically do here in the house and has been at my beck and call every hour of every day. He's helped me up and down, into bed, helped me roll over-even helped me shower because I can't bend down or raise my arms. And throughout it all, he's still smiling, still my sweet boy, cracking jokes and making me smile. I am so lucky.

I guess if you're going to be bored out of your mind, being lucky is a good thing. :)

3 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

I did not even know you had it scheduled. I'm glad it's over. Just keep healing and try to be lil' bit more patient horizontaly. Almost there :)

Amazing Gracie said...

Hi! I feel so bad that i haven't been by to offer congrats. The last post shows that you are very blessed, indeed! I mean, buying a saw? Reminds me of my Wally.
Rats to the back surgery. That cannot feel good. I certainly wish you well with that.
I caught the Facebook addiction and hardly ever blog anymore. Every time I post about blogging more it seems that I jinx myself.
Take care...

Travis Cody said...

Hang in there and give your recovery the time it needs. After my dad had shoulder surgery, he swore for weeks it was the worst decision he ever made. Then suddenly it was the best decision because he started to regain his range of motion.