Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mitsy Doodle

It only took 3 hours to lose her. At 10:30pm we picked her up and realized she wasn't breathing properly and by 1:00am she was gone. Our little Misty went over the rainbow bridge on Friday. And while we are no longer crying out loud, we are heartbroken.

When I got home on Thursday night I noticed that she wasn't as active as she usually is. But I picked her up and patted her little bum and sent her scampering away. I didn't think anything of it until about 10:30pm when I was heading to bed and wondered where she was. I searched in all of her usual hiding places but didn't find her. She was in our dining room-a room we rarely go in-on the rug just sort of laying there. Breathing heavily. And was sluggish. She felt very weak when I picked her up and she didn't try to steal Bella's treat from her. That's when we knew something was REALLY wrong.

We called the er, wrapper her up in a towel so she wouldn't be cold and brought her right in. On the way, her breathing got worse and her eyes started to glaze over a little bit. When we got there, the doctor took her right away and started an IV. A few minutes later she came out and told us it didn't look good. Our Mitsy had fluid around her lungs (we later learned it was puss, that filled up her little chest) which was preventing her from breathing. Her prognosis was initially a rare heart condition, but once they extracted the fluid she realized it was another rare condition. She had a severe infection internally and they only way to possibly fix it would have been to put chest tube in her little body for at least 3 days and then hope it worked. And then if it didn't, she'd have to have surgery.

We just couldn't imagine our little Mitsy hooked up to chest tubes. She was so tiny, I think it would have killed her. And seeing her little face when she looked at me on the way t o the hospital, we knew she was in pain. The doctor told us that she would not be able to consider the surgery for her cats, either as it is a very intense option and is painful for them. It doesn't make the hurt go away, but it does give some comfort knowing that we aren't alone in our decision.

It was so surreal coming home with her in a box. It happened so quickly. It feels weird not seeing her, hearing her little chirpy purr. It's odd that I'm typing this and she's not sitting (or trying to sit) on top of the keyboard. We only knew her for 7 months, but our love for her was so strong...we'll miss her so much.

She's buried in B1's Dad's backyard, under a tree...RIP Mitsy Doodle.


Melisa Wells said...

How horrible!!! I'm so sorry. :(

Travis Cody said...

Oh I'm so sorry. My Mr Tucker left us a year ago next month, from congestive heard disease. It was so hard to watch him struggle with his breathing in those last weeks.

I know it's hard, but you did the right thing to let little Mitsy go to the Bridge. I'm sorry you had her for such a short time.

LceeL said...

Geez, I'm sorry. I know how much that hurts. There's only one thing to do. Find another kitten - Mitsy would not want you to be "without".

Ivanhoe said...

I'm so sorry, Lisa! I hope she is having a good time with my Tuli over the rainbow bridge.