Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dinner Party

This weekend B1 is going away to visit some of his college friends in New York city so I'll be left alone. We've only been apart from each other for one or two nights since moving in with each other, so it's going to be a little odd knowing I won't see him at night. I often don't sleep well when he's not in bed with me. When he told me he was going away, I immediately thought about what I could do to get myself out of the house. A friend of mine and I will be going out on the town like we did in the old days (read: before I met B1) in the hopes that she'll find her own B1.

One night down.

And then I thought about what I could do to get people inside of my house. And of course, to me, this means dinner party! Sadly, it won't be nearly as big as the ones I've hosted in the past (read the last post which mentions my diminished number of friends) BUT my two best friends in Boston will be attending and one will bring his new-ish girlfriend. So I get to cook for people. And my house will be less empty for a few hours.

I'm trying to figure out what to make. I can't make seafood because the girlfriend is not a fan...which is OK. There are plenty of other options and being winter and all, I feel that seafood isn't the right choice anyway. So far I've thought of:

Osso Bucco with whipped potatoes and some sort of green veg. For dessert I think I'd make something chocolate.

Cuban inspired pork roast with dirty rice and beans with sweet plantains. For dessert I'd make a mango sorbet. And I would make mojito's for sure.

Some sort of simple Italian pasta-maybe with roasted tomatoes, greens and white beans. I'd have to then make a garlic crostini for sure and for dessert maybe a cheesecake. Or a semifreddo.

The other thing I thought about was my mini-beef wellingtons. I haven't made them in ages and they are always a huge hit. And since there are only 4 of us, it'll be easier to make in terms of budget...

I just don't know. This is the problem with me having a dinner party. I can't ever choose what I want to make because I have so many ideas. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards the Cuban roast or the rustic Italian theme...but I have a couple of days to think about this. I'm sure it'll change.

What do you think?

3 comments:

LceeL said...

I don't care what you make - my salivary glands are now working overtime just THINKING about all the good stuff you have mentioned. The mini-beef wellingtons would get my vote, however - being the "meat and potatoes" kind of guy I am. Hopefully, you'd serve with fresh asparagus. But again - that's just me. Question, though. Do you do your Wellies in a pastry or a pate?

Mags said...

I usually would serve them with asparagus, but in this case, I think I would choose green beans b/c I think one person doesn't like asparagus.

I make mine in pastry and instead of fois gras I use blue cheese. I personally love it with fois but not many others do, so I don't chance it.

Travis Cody said...

I'd say the pork roast or the Wellington. Those seem like hearty winter type meals. Whichever you choose, I'm sure it will be delicious.