Friday, March 04, 2011

Don't Quit

I've been in (almost) constant pain all week. It's starting to wear on me; I am trying to stay focused and optimistic and to not let it creep into my heart and pull me down, but it's getting harder. As I type this, I'm choking up because I just don't want to feel hurt anymore. I would like to cut off my right shoulder and start over...

I have a physical therapy appointment but it's not until the 17th. I am hoping that this will be the missing link to my recovery and that by summer I won't feel this pain anymore. I want to be able to move without wincing, to sleep without whimpering and to hug the people I love without worrying I'll be squeezed too hard.

This is an old poem I read now and again to remind me to keep going, even when I don't want to. It's not really specific to pain but I thought it'd be a good reminder today...


DON'T QUIT
by Edgar A. Guest

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
when the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
when the funds are low and the debts are high,
and you want to smile but you have to sigh,
when care is pressing you down a bit - rest if you must,
but don't you quit.

Success is failure turned inside out - the silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
and when you never can tell how close you are,
it may be near when it seems afar;
so stick to the fight when you're hardest hit - it's when things seem worst,
you must not quit.

6 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Ah hell Mags...I hate reading this. I hope you get relief. I am a chiropractor guy. PT never did anything for me, but I sure hope it works for you dear.

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I'm sorry your shoulder is still hurting. Can you get a second opinion?

Melisa with one S said...

Pain sucks. :(
I hope you feel better soon!

Travis Cody said...

Hang in there. Chronic pain sucks.

Palm Springs Savant said...

oh how yucky. Hold on and keep smilin'

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Keep your head up Maggie...it will get better.