Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Brass Monkey

You might remember that a couple of weeks ago I purchased a used flute from a local woman who no longer plays. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at it because it was in such great condition. While it's only a "beginner" flute, it still plays nicely and has beautiful sound quality. My fingers were twitching with anticipation and the first time I played, I played for over 3 hours!

I was really proud of myself, too, because I picked it right up and played pretty well. I'm amazed that I am still able to read the music and that I remember the fingering too. The only notes I have trouble with are the ones that I was just learning when I stopped in junior high (the really, really high pitched ones) and while my fingers still stumble over some of the faster music, I play very well. There are 2 things that are holding me back now though. The first is that the music books I currently own are the advanced ones from when I was younger. I need to find music that is maybe one step lower so that I can build my way back again. This is an easy fix, I just have to find a music store that sells music. I haven't really looked yet, so I'm sure I'll find one soon. The second thing is that I don't have a music stand anymore. And because of my back problem, I can't sit on the bed or the floor for hours playing the flute like I used to....not without being stiff afterward anyway. So I've been looking on CraigsList for a free/cheap metal stand. In my search, I came across this beauty:

Isn't it pretty? It's an adjustable brass stand-pretty rare, I'd say. I mean, I've never actually seen one in person so I know they aren't a dime a dozen anymore. The guy was asking $50 for it-which is probably a fare price, but much more than I wanted to pay. So I offered him $30. He countered with $40 and while that's also a good price, I'm sure-it's still more than I wanted to pay. And it's not something I really NEED...so I wrote back, telling him that if he decides that $30 is OK, to please let me know.

And he did! I asked B1 what he thought about it and he thinks that if I can get it for $30 and I want it, I should get it. (Which is what I knew he'd say-he's a firm believer that I should buy pretty things for myself-and while I won't be wearing this-I can see it being pretty in our home for years to come!) Now, the only thing I'm waiting for is a time for me to go pick it up. It lives about 1/2 hour away from Boston and we're going away on Friday morning...so I'm hoping that he will let me get it tonight after work.

Hopefully by tonight I'll be playing slightly too hard music on a beautiful old brass music stand!

4 comments:

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Very cool stand..hope you get it.

Travis Cody said...

I say get the music stand. You want to play the flute again, so you might as well surround yourself with the things that will make playing enjoyable for you.

Linda said...

Now why did I not know that you played the flute? That's something you and Amanda have in common though she has nowhere near that pretty of a music stand ... or any music stand at all now that I think about it!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Isn't tactile memory the most amazing thing. Before contact lists in cell phones took over the earth I was always amazed at how when I could not remember a phone number with "my mind" I could just pick up the phone and start to Dial and my fingers "remembered" the pattern to punch!

Of course I rarly punch numbers anymore so that trick is gone!

I have always struggled with sheet music though. All the lines seem to blur together and I can never tell which line the note is on. {sigh}