Thursday, January 20, 2011

What's Cookin'? Garlic Spaghetti

At the beginning of the year I bought a Cooking Light cookbook in an attempt to make healthier meals for B1 and I. We're both trying to watch what we eat and I am trying to lose a significant amount of weight. I've started making weekly menus which detail what I'm going to eat in addition to how many calories I'll be eating each day. It's tiring, but my hope is that we'll find a few favorites that I can rotate in and out each month and that soon they will become part of my recipe collection.

So far, we've liked a few of the recipes, but mostly I find that I have to add things to make them more flavorful. I'll keep plugging along in the hopes that I'll find more shining stars like this one, Garlic Spaghetti with Beans and Greens. It's very simple to make and is quite tasty. I'm not making a habit of eating pasta (carbs do me in!) but every now and then you just need a big bowl of comfort and this certainly fits the bill. (3 tablespoons of garlic with cheese and lemon? Sign me up!)

The original recipe actually calls for only 2 tablespoons of garlic and arugula instead of spinach. I don't care for arugula much so I substituted, but I'm sure that if you like it, the arugula would be quite nice in here. Serve it up with a glass of white wine, and enjoy!

Ingredients:
8 oz Spaghetti
3/4 t. Salt
3 T. Olive Oil
3 T. Garlic, minced
1 t. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 C. Grape Tomatoes, halved
16 oz Can Cannellini Beans, Rinsed & Drained
5 oz Spinach Leaves
2 T. Lemon Juice
1/2 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese

Method:
1. Cook pasta according to directions. Reserve 1/2 C. Pasta water when draining pasta.
2. Return pan to medium heat. Add oil, garlic and red pepper. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, tomatoes and salt. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Stir in pasta. Add pasta water and spinach. Mix to wilt.
4. Add cheese and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Season to taste.

Calories: 290
Fat: 10.5 g
Carbs: 38.3

3 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

The good thing is that the cheese and beans help buffer the effects of the pasta.

I love all those flavors and I bet it's just absolutely wonderful!

I made a goal to try 2 new recipes/month. I've gotta get crackin... maybe this will be my second recipe for January.

trininista said...

My recipe is very similar but I use a lot of broccoli and cauliflower instead of beans. Sounds yummy though. Looks yummier.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Looks like a nice change of pace...bet Broccoli Rabe would be great in this also...and only 3tblspns of garlic? Only 3?!?!?!?!