Monday, December 27, 2010

Rainbow Cookies

My very favorite cookies of the season (and any season, really) are rainbow cookies. I've grown up eating them and even made them once with my aunt when I was little. Until I moved to Boston, I usually only ate them once a year when I traveled to NY for Christmas Eve. Once I moved here though, I found a local bakery that sells the best cookie I have ever eaten.

This year I felt like I wanted to try to make them again. Sure, I could easily (well, not really easily-parking is a bitch in that neighborhood!) have gone to the bakery and bought a few pounds but I really wanted to see if I could make a cookie that rivals the ones I get from the bakery.

I mixed up the dough and folded in egg whites...

Divided it into thirds and colored one red and one green...


Put them into pans and let them bake...

Slathered them with raspberry jam and wedged them together...


Drenched them with melted chocolate and let it set...

Trimmed them...

And cut them into rectangles...


They were delicious. Originally I told you I was going to post the recipe, but this is the first cookie recipe that I actually developed and made my own and to be honest, they really DO rival the ones from the North End. And since I do want to someday open a cafe in this area, I feel like I need to protect it. It might be silly, but you never know...

While I enjoyed the process and loved the outcome, these cookies are very expensive to make. In fact, this batch cost about $20. Commercially I am certain I could make them cheaper, but for now, I think I'll circle the block a few times and pay half the price for someone else to make them. Plus, it's a good excuse to play in the North End!

3 comments:

Melisa with one S said...

Yum. That is all.

Linda said...

What Melisa with one S said. Yum!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I'm glad you protected the recipe. Smart move... Those look absolutely delicious. Is it a vanilla or almond flavor in the batter? Just wanting to visualize the flavors.