Monday, December 27, 2010

Bacon Cups

Every year I think seriously about what I should bring to my Nana's house on Christmas Eve. I used to bake lots and lots of cookies but after the year the platter got left in the den without being opened, I said "No Way Jose". (One of my aunts bakes and Nana puts those out.) I used to bring a delicious hot crab dip but that was expensive and labor intensive. I could bring my famous artichoke dip but everyone there eats it when I bring it to other parties. One year I brought pumpkin creme brulee and made everyone swoon but that too was a lot of work and too hard to cope with during the craziness of Christmas Eve at Nana's.

This year I made bacon cups.

Yes, bacon cups. Little 2-bite bacon cups that I filled with a blue cheese dressing and topped with roasted buffalo shrimp. They were delicious. Unfortunately they are a lot of work and I ran out of time so I only had about 18 of them-and they went fast.

I started out with a mini-muffin pan and sprayed it with baking spray.

Then I cut one strip of bacon into 4 pieces and put that small strip on the top of a few cups. Next I wrapped a single piece of bacon around the cup and tucked the edges in so that they wouldn't curl while baking.

I tried several different ways of making these cups. I braided a piece of bacon and wrapped that around the cup and I also used two slices as is. The best result came from the single wrapped bacon slice baked at 4oo degrees for about 12 minutes.

The best part these little gems is the look on peoples faces when you say "bacon cup". It kind of made it worth it.

I'm not sure I'd make them again though...

5 comments:

Linda said...

I'd better not let Amanda see this post as she'd totally flip for bacon cups! She says everything is better with bacon!

Brian in Mpls said...

That is the most incredible thing I have ever seen!!!!

Palm Springs Savant said...

Mags, that is quite interesting. Now here in Palm Springs, I'd make them with a Medjool date and goats cheese. great idea!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

**drool**

bacon

**sigh**

yum!

Desert Songbird said...

What's not to love about bacon? And with shrimp to boot!