Sunday, November 28, 2010

We're Almost Done! Dining Room "After"

B1 and I have been working tirelessly (OK, forget that-we're tired!) trying to get our apartment all done. Practically every inch of this apartment has been touched by us. We decided when we moved in that we'd really make it our own and that we weren't afraid of a little elbow grease to get it to where we want it.

It's been a long road, but it's finally all coming together. Last week we started the process of painting our dining room and setting it up. Since we're having a dinner party in a couple of weeks, we really wanted to get everything in the "public" areas buttoned up. It came together really, really well and I have to say, the dining room is easily my favorite room in the house...Before I share the pictures, I wanted to share with you a restoration. Remember my Nana's fish lamps? They were in pretty bad shape. I didn't 1 leg from each was missing, one tail was broken and several of the crystals were gone. They were starting to rust, too.

Over the course of the last year, my Nana has managed to find the legs, more crystals and the medallion to the 2nd lamp. Yesterday I took them out and decided that one good fish lamp was better than 2 fish lamps sitting in a closet. So I took it apart, cleaned it, glued on the leg and spray painted it. Then I put it all back together:

I know they're ugly, but I love them. And I love that I have something of my Nana's on display in our home. B1 has a lot of old things from his grandmother and his mother but I have nothing. All of my stuff is new-things I bought myself. So I'm happy to have a family item-especially one that I really love, and remember from my childhood...and now, onto the pictures. This is a horrible picture, but it's the only one of the dining room "before" that I have:

First we painted the walls "Toasted Pecan" (which is a horrible name-the walls are yellow) and the trim white. (As always, this was MUCH needed-this room was one of the grimiest.) Then we bought a China cabinet.

Now *most* of our glassware is stored in here instead of in boxes...and we can use it all! (I'm seriously considering painting this black to update it and to have it match the chairs and eventually the table.)

Then I found this chandelier...for $30!!! B1 worked so hard on this yesterday. Thank you my cute boy!


(I still need to find shades for it, but it's so pretty!) I made curtains, pictures were hung and the table set...

Isn't it pretty!? It might not be your thing, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!! We also have the old bar I made a couple of years ago in the corner.

Our first dinner in the new dining room. B1 set the table. :)


One of the last things we did yesterday was take the door off of the living room. There is really no reason to have it there and it was just making the space look smaller. I can tell you that the room (which is quite large, actually) looks HUGE now. AND we were able to hang up the last of my 3 set pictures...


And of course I needed one little lone bird somewhere, right? Here he is...

There might be more birds in the apartments future but for now, he's it...

What do you think?

6 comments:

Travis Cody said...

Outstanding work!

flipper said...

I LOVE it! And I must add I am a little jealous- I have always wanted to "re-make" a fixer-upper. You guys did an amazing job it looks great and I can't wait to see it in person :)

Melisa with one S said...

LOVE it!!!

Great attitude about the lamp(s). You two did a great job!

And Miles To Go... said...

our dining room is almost the same color but more on the "mustard" side. Beautiful!

LceeL said...

Cool. Well done.

Danielle A. said...

Hey! I may have shades for you - do you need 5? We are going to be replacing our dining room chandelier and don't use the ones we have. Email me. :)