Monday, October 18, 2010

All Hale to the Woods

This weekend B1 and I took advantage of the beautiful (but a little chilly) weather and went hiking.  We went here.  Neither of us had been before and because it's relatively close (within a 1/2 hour) to where we live, we thought it was a great choice for an afternoon hike.  We chose to walk the loop around the water-an "easy" hike by their standards with mostly flat trails and some "moderate" inclines.  They say it's only about a mile.  Both B1 and I think they lied.  It seemed like it was much longer-which is just fine with both of us (I think) but it was just odd.  The trail itself was pretty-weaving in and out of the woods over to the water...in a delightful twist, there were little offshoots with wooden plank "bridges" or rocks that would bring us to hidden pockets of wonder.  One in particular made me feel like a little girl again.  It started out as a regular enough trail but then the vegetation got a little thicker.  I think that normal people might then turn around, but there were rocks sort of calling our name and we followed them.  When we reached the end, we were in a little cleaning with water on either side.  It felt completely isolated and secret and it's the very type of place that I used to play in for hours when I was little.  I even told B1 that if I lived there, my table would be in the 3 pronged tree and my stove would be a rock placed a little farther away.  I wish I remembered my camera because I suspect I'd look back at that place every now and then and smile.  Even as I remember it now, I daydream about playing house there.

I love the woods.  I know it's a direct result of where I grew up and how my cousin and I would play for hours surrounded by trees, ferns and mud.  I love the way the sun filters itself through the leaves, the sound they make when they rustle in the wind and the soft crunching our shoes make as we walk along the paths.  And the smells...earthy and rich with minerals, light and breezy...warm and sunny.  Those are smells that only someone who grew up in New England knows the way I do.  And being able to share those things with the man I love is heavenly. 

B1's legs are naturally longer than mine and so I let him go ahead of me.  He's often 3 or 4 steps in front of me.  It's blissful following him through the woods.  And knowing that when the trail gets a little wider, that he'll turn around and reach out his hand so we can walk like that for a little while, is so wonderful...it's good to be in love with B1.  And it's good to be loved by B1.  :)

6 comments:

And Miles To Go... said...

I heart this post. I love the smell of the woods too.

B1 said...

Some day we'll have a treehouse on our land- for big kids.

"Lois Grebowski" said...

my nose is getting all tingly... I love this....

Melisa with one S said...

Must've been the weekend for hiking...that's what I did too! (But not with B1. haha)

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Very cool adventure

flipper said...

i love this.