Friday, September 17, 2010

You're Amazing...Me? Not So Much...

Are you amazing at anything? I want to be amazing at something. I'm not and I want to be. Trouble is, I don't know what I should try to be amazing at. Or how to become amazing.

I am a good writer. But I haven't been able to write lately and I can't remember stories when I sit down to write them.

I can sing, but not wonderfully. It's just good enough, if you know what I mean.

I admit I am a good chef and some dishes people have said are amazing. On more than one occasion, people have told me that the food they just ate was the best they've had in their lives. But I don't think I am amazing. I mess up way too much and don't practice enough. I'm forgetting terminology because I am not actively using it. Overall, I am just not amazing.

I'm a good friend, but not even close to being an amazing friend. I can't keep in touch and often get wrapped up in my own world.

My sisters love me, but I'm not the best sister in the world...

So what should I focus on? How should I get there? I feel like taking some classes somewhere but they are too expensive and my interests are too varied...

Basically, I have no idea what the heck I'm talking about. All I know is that I am not amazing at anything and I want to be. I guess that's the first step-identifying the lack of amazingness and figuring out how to get closer to it.

12 comments:

flipper said...

you are an overall amazing woman for a billion reasons. p.s. what do you mean you can "sign"?

G.W. said...

You are amazing at being you. No one else can do it like you can.

SilverNeurotic said...

Being amazing is overrated.

Lisa said...

There is a very easy answer. So simple you'll wonder why you hadn't realized it sooner. So profound it will change your attitude for sure... are you ready?!

Are you sitting down?

All of those almosts, not quites, could be betters, etc. are what make you... YOU! And YOU are amazing. You don't have to be amazing at ONE thing. All the things that make you special, and stand out from amongst the others in this world are what make you AMAZING.

Duh?! Get it!

Clancypants said...

Ummm... whatever, chica. I've never heard you sing, and I've never tasted anything except your rumcake (which was amazing, btw) but I am absolutely positive that you are an amazing friend and I think you should start saying to yourself, "I am an amazing chef" because I'm pretty sure that's true, even if you aren't practicing all the time and forget some terms. I don't think the technical stuff is what makes someone an amazing chef. I think it comes from somewhere inside. And, lady, I think you've got that special, amazing something inside.

SO, start SAYING it and maybe you'll start believing it.

(!!!!)

:)

"Lois Grebowski" said...

You ARE amazing...Seriously.
Hugs, dear...

Linda said...

I'm totally amazed that you don't think that you are amazing at anything because you are, you are!

I bet you are one heck of an amazing girlfriend as far as B1 is concerned!

You have an amazing smile and laugh and it lights up your entire face and the rest of you!

You make an amazing artichoke dip so that makes you one hell of an amazing chef in my book - never mind your mini-beef wellies, your amazing cake designs, and all of that other amazing food you made for us in Rhode Island. Heck, I could go for a big ole' dish of your amazing chicken enchiladas right now - birthdays haven't been the same since!

I could go on but I think you get the hint, right? You ARE amazing and you're a wonderful person to boot and you can take that to the bank!

lala [mrs. new guy] said...

hey mags, go easy on yourself. feeling like this could be inspirational, but it could also just drag you down into discouragement. i haven't met you or heard you sing or tasted your food, but i have always enjoyed reading your blog. you seem like a pretty rad person!

i hope you can use these feelings of being inadequate to push yourself further along in your personal development-- but i hope you can still love yourself the way your guy loves you and the way your friends love you, even if you don't become an amazing singer or a famous chef. :D

Palm Springs Savant said...

Now just wait one minute, Mags. You need to stop disparaging yourself. Learn to only speak in positives, don't surround yourself with anything negative. You can say I want to be better at _____ but don't say you're not amazing, Cuz you are!

Travis Cody said...

Amazing = causing wonder or astonishment.

Didn't you astonish yourself when you made the decision to move to Boston, follow through on it, and thrive in your new life there?

Didn't you astonish yourself by getting through so many months of being unemployed.

Aren't you astonished each and every day by the life you are making with B1?

Perhaps you should re-examine whether or not you are amazing.

Mags said...

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging comments...this is an instance where I didn't communicate very well...I wasn't feeling like I was less than amazing, really, but I was feeling like I want to be really great-amazing-at something. To be known for it...I want to learn or perfect...

B1 said...

The most amazing thing you do is show love to all the people around you. How can amazing get better than that? Everything else is just icing on the cake.