Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Skirt

There exists a single skirt, a classic gray a-line with purple and white stitching, that sat in my closet for 10+ years.  It is the only piece of clothing that moved everywhere I went-packed and unpacked nine times, rehung and placed in the dark recesses of my closet.

Waiting.

You see, this skirt did not last because it was made from fine fabrics in a designer store.  It did not last because I kept such good care of it and washed it just the way it likes.  No, this skirt lasted 10+ years because I could not wear it.  It was too small.  I am not certain why I kept it.  Though I do love it and its simple lines and its flirty flow, it is not an expensive piece.  In fact, I think I bought it at Target.  There were times when I would run my fingers over the hanger wishing I could take it out to play, always knowing though, that it would probably never be worn by me again.  And so it sat.  In the dark, among the pieces I did wear...waiting.

A couple of months ago when I was feeling really good about my weight loss, I tried it on.  I hadn't dared doing this for years because I knew it would lead to frustration, disappointment and perhaps zipper burn.  As I stepped into the skirt, I said a little prayer-not a real "Please God let this fit" kind of prayer...more like willing the skirt to slide over my hips.

It did.

My hands moved to the zipper and tugged.  This, my friends, was the real test.  This was where I'd been tripped up before.  (The skirt could be put over my head and shimmied down if I really wanted to get it on.  But the zipper never closed.)  As I gently pulled, I closed my eyes and smiled a bit.  This was going to be the day...I would wear my skirt!

The zipper stopped.  Half way up.  I hung my head, stepped out of the skirt and hung it back in the closet.

For about a month now, I've been trying to watch what I eat.  I re-joined Jenny until my sisters wedding and have gone to the gym every now and then.  (This I have to work on more-it's just easier and more fun to come home to our love nest!)  I've lost about 8 more pounds bringing my total weight loss to 39.6 pounds.  (Curse you, .4 pounds!)  Needless to say, I have a very limited wardrobe to choose from.  Even my newer pants are sagging a bit in the tushy.  It makes for very frustrating mornings and even though the clothes do not fit because I have lost weight, seeing myself in baggy clothing makes me feel ugly.  Not a good way to start the day...

This morning, for some reason, I tried on the skirt.  It slid over my hips with no effort.  My hands moved to the zipper and tugged.  As I gently pulled, I closed my eyes and smiled a bit.  This was going to be the day...I would wear my skirt!

The zipper stopped.  At the top of my waist!  I did a little dance, looked in the mirror and twirled. 

My skirt-the one I've been keeping for years in the back of my closet because I love it-fits!!  I know that there will be a day when I won't be able to wear it again...but this time, it will be because it is too big.  Until then, I'll wear it with pride and a skip in my step.

Today is a good day.

9 comments:

LceeL said...

That just makes me smile. I am so proud of you.

And Miles To Go... said...

YAY!! It IS a good day!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

you go woman! I know what you mean about a limited wardrobe and baggy pants... me, too!

the skirt-o-meter never lies. congratulate yourself on your progress... revel in it. It's yours!

:-D)

Clancypants said...

you go girl!

SilverNeurotic said...

Aww, enjoy the skirt.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Most excellent Mags...most excellent

flipper said...

good 4 y ice cube <3

Travis Cody said...

Huzzah!

Linda said...

Woohoo!!!! I love a happy ending!