Friday, August 06, 2010

It's All Greek 2 Me...

I might need to start calling B1 "GP" for "Gus Portokalos". The reason is because like Gus, B1 seems to have a "cure all" for everything:

Gatorade.

Now I fully understand Gatorade's magical properties and that in some instances, it's a good choice. Like, for instance, when I had strep throat and couldn't stomach drinking water on an empty stomach but needed fluids. Or when, after 8 hours in the sun without food, I was dehydrated and had a migraine. These are all situations in which I would agree that perhaps a little extra help is good. And so I dutifully drank the sweet liquid (sometimes needing a little extra push from B1 to finish, but I digress...) and waited for it to work.

Here I have to admit, that I don't think as highly about Gatorade than B1 does. In fact, I probably would never buy it if other choices were available. Drinking too much of it actually tends to make me thirsty (probably due to the sodium content?) and makes my tongue feel thick and in a sugary coma. So naturally when B1 sent me a text message the day after the boat incident telling me to "drink lots of water-and oh-drink a Gatorade at lunch", I kind of* exclaimed, "Really with the Gatorade?!?"

But of course, I got one. Why? Because when I wrote back telling him I probably wouldn't get one, he wrote back insisting that I do. And I'm not really into lying to my B1 (and knew I'd have to when he asked if I drank one) so I stopped to pick up a smaller version of the mammoth bottle he made me drink the night before.

Days later (yesterday) my headache still remained. In a tired, painful rant I mentioned as much on Facebook...and don't you know, B1 replied that I drink a bottle of his favorite elixir. I laughed and realized that indeed, he thinks this stuff works like medicine. And I appreciate his coaxing and prodding because that means he really does love me and that he wants me to feel better. But really, it doesn't seem to work on me like it does on him.

Maybe I should put some Windex on it...

*OK. I didn't "kind of" exclaim that...I did exclaim that."

5 comments:

Linda said...

The Gatorade probably works better for B1 because he believes in its magical elixir properties while you remain a skeptic so it doesn't have the psychological effect on you.

It's so sweet that he cares so much about you, though!

Hope you get rid of that headache soon!

And Miles To Go... said...

lol--Windex! Great post. I see your a fan of MBFGW also. Hope your headache goes away and Happy Friday.

Palm Springs Savant said...

they say the electrolytes in Gatorade do something, but I've never believed it. Its taste funny to me too...

Travis Cody said...

The problem is that Gatorade isn't designed to quench a thirst. It's designed to replace stuff your body loses. There's a legitimate science applied to make it an excellent way to stay hydrated.

They just forgot to apply science to make it taste good.

Desert Songbird said...

Tell Gus that you'll try the Gatorade next time if he'll try a PowerAid. I've always preferred PowerAid. ;)