Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wet Paint

There is so much going on...it's hard to focus on just one thing-but it all has to do with the apartment.  When I first looked at it, I loved the layout and the unique feature of the spiral stairs leading up to the bedroom/bathroom...as well as the landing on the top of the stairs.  BUT...I hated the dingy, very dirty walls, the horrible smells and the thought that WAY too many people lived there.  Still, it had great bones and I didn't discount it. 

I think you remember that overall, I went back 3 times before deciding that it could be salvaged.  I took B1 with me to make sure that I wasn't crazy and that he could also see the apartment's potential.  Of course he could, and the fact that the landlord said she's pay for $200 worth of paint sealed the deal.

Some people scoff when I tell them that last part.  They say that she should be paying us to do the work of that it should be much more than $200.  While I see their point, I also know that we're both creative people who like color...and that we probably would have painted anyway, even if it wasn't a dingy, dirty apartment in need of repair.  So getting the $200 off of the rent for a month really sort of rocks.  I'm not sure why a landlord would not paint prior to renting an apartment-especially this particular one-but I'm glad that she recognized that it needed help and that if we were willing, she'd allow it.

I would bet that if she had painted prior to showing the place, she would have rented it more quickly.  And could probably charge a bit more.  Lucky for us though, she didn't, and our home is slowly becoming a wonderful place of our own.

We painted the kitchen last night.  It's green, naturally.  B1 actually (almost) insisted that we choose the color we did.  I didn't get to really enjoy the kitchen in my old place (which was green) because I have to move so quickly.  He thought that I should have a green kitchen again (because it's my favorite color).  I was hesitant but as we covered up the ugly baby blue dirty walls, I smiled.  I have a painting partner-a B1 painting partner-and a green kitchen.  And it looks fresh and clean and 1000 time better already.  It's really amazing what a little color (OK, this is a lot of color!) and fresh paint can do.

Pictures will follow soon...I want to put the kitchen back together before I show you.

9 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

Fresh paint/colors really makes a ton of difference in a place. Especially when you're making it your own. I think the $200 was a great deal!

I'm just so happy that life is way gooder than it was last year... I knew it would be. And that just makes me smile.

LceeL said...

What Lois said. Especially that last bit. It makes me smile, too.

G.W. said...

Do you rent B1 out? My kitchen/dining room could use a little freshening up.


Keep smiling!

And Miles To Go... said...

I'm glad you have a painting partner and a life partner. You deserve all the best! Does B1 cook?

Mags said...

Lois/Lou: Thank you! It makes me smile too...

GW: Um...maybe? LOL!

Briget: B1 can cook though right now I don't really let him because I'm really enjoying having someone to cook for. In all of my relationships, I've never had a steady make dinner routine. I'm sure it might get old, but at this point, I'm loving it!! He'll cook for me, I'm sure.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

You like green? Really? Having been here on your blog for years I never would have known!

Glad it is all working out...and most landlords will not allow colors on the walls, so you are lucky that way also

Travis Cody said...

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Linda said...

My landlord let us take money off the rent to paint when we moved in here, too, and as you might have noticed - I have a green kitchen, too! I think it was just white before I got to it but like yourself, I do like green and especially in a kitchen.

I'm looking forward to the pictures of what you and your painter/partner have done to your new place!

SilverNeurotic said...

All that painting makes me want to paint as well.