Friday, June 11, 2010

The Truth

Yesterday I posted 6 lies and 1 truth.  Thank you to those of you who came by to guess!  Of the 6 people (I'm counting B1 who guessed in person), only 1 of you got it right!  Here is what YOU thought:

GW & Bond think I am a hooligan who pulls fire alarms.

Thomas believes that I, like Sarah Silverman, wet my bed a lot longer than I should have.

Lucy, a new reader (Hi Lucy!) guessed that I was a sucker but then saw that I am a chef and changed her guess to Thanksgiving turkey.

Daily Panic-who tagged me for this-also thinks that I was a sucker.

B1 narrowed it down to 2, did some thinking and rationalizing and then exclaimed that he could totally see me milking a cow and drinking its milk...."even though you don't like milk.".

I chuckled after writing yesterday's post because even though I know which answer is the truth, it also seems fairly obvious.  A while back I read an article that talked about people who lie or make excuses a lot.  Often times, when someone is desperate for you to believe them (even though what they are telling you is a lie), they will add to the story, hoping these details will make the story more real.

Without even realizing I was doing it, I did that.  Only 2 of my statements were short and to the point.  One of them came out that way because it was my last lie and I simply could not think of anything else to write.  The other is the truth...

So...which one of you is right?  Which answer is the truth? 

Lie: I have milked a cow and drank its milk.

Though I actually have always wanted to milk a cow, I have not.  And even though I don't like milk, I would probably drink its milk too.  Though there are some health risks involved in that-especially for women.  But I'd probably risk it.

Truth: I wet the bed when I was a little girl. For a lot longer than most kids.

Yes...it's true.  I wet the bed for a disgustingly long time.  I knew who my true friends were because they were the ones who kept my secret.  And they were the ones whose Moms had a special set up for me so that I could sleep over.  As I got older, I tried to stay awake for the entire night so that I wouldn't have an accident but I always ended up giving in and waking up disappointed.  Nothing my mom did worked.  I'd go hours-HOURS-without liquids before bed, she'd wake me up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and she enticed me with stickers and rewards.  Nothing worked...just one day, I woke up and was dry and then next and the next and the next...and I could sleep over without worrying I'd lose a friend or end up the laughing stock of the school.

8 comments:

flipper said...

i didnt know that, I thought you made this lie because you thought about it because of chris! So I was the only child that did not have that problem, weird!

Mags said...

You were also the only child who didn't have dad actively drinking throughout your childhood. :)

The tree lie was about Chrissy.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I still think you are a hooligan...

hehehehehehee

Marilyn said...

I think you may have blogged about this one before... I'm sorry I wasn't here in time to play.

"Lois Grebowski" said...

you were growing faster than your kidneys and bladder...

Thomas said...

Well, I'll be. Sorry to hear you were a wetter (though it, in no way, changes my high opinion of you), but kudos to me for being able to ferret out the truth. :P

G.W. said...

I thought for sure you being a tactile person was true....especially after the mannequin "incident"

Desert Songbird said...

Still catching up.....

My son, who is now 11 years old, was a nighttime bedwetter until about two years ago. Nothing, NOTHING we did would end the problem permanently; they worked for a while, and then he'd start wetting again. Finally, we let up and figured he just need to mature physically, and now he's been dry for a couple of year. Patience and not condemnation was what we learned. Sounds like your parents did the same. Glad you had friends who understood.