Friday, June 04, 2010

Searching....

Yesterday was a somewhat crazy day. I took the day off to look at apartments. My thinking was that because this weekend is packed with social obligations I would not have time to run around looking for a place to live. B1 was over the night before and asked if I wanted some company and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

After a lazy morning and breakfast I started calling around to realtors to see if they could set up appointments. Most of them were not available (even the ones that I had talked to the day before all of a sudden could not meet me!). Just as I was starting to feel like I had wasted a vacation day to do something productive I managed to find one realtor who had time. He turned out to be a weirdo who showed me apartments that didn't fit the description of what I wanted-or needed. All of them were more expensive than I could afford. One of them was cute and in a cute area but the bathroom was not even in the apartment! I wouldn't have to share it with anyone, but anyone coming into the building could basically walk up and come in. It's a shame too, because I really liked the bedroom and it had a little deck which would have been lovely.

Oh well...

At the end of the day I asked B1 if he'd be willing to come with me to see the place I was on the fence about. It's 2 stories and huge...but it needs a little work. The landlord is fixing some of the things that are broken and is having it cleaned, but it's still a little dingy. BUT it has potential and I asked if I could paint. The thing that made me stop to really wonder if I'd take it is that the landlord said that she'd take $200 off of the rent if I wanted to paint! So we went back to see it one last time.

I have to say I feel better that B1 saw it. I have a tendency of looking at broken things (people too) and seeing what they could be with a little work. And I have a tendency to think, "I can fix that!" even if I might not be up for the task. So I was worried that I was looking at this place with rose colored glasses and that I'd move in and regret it. But B1 saw what I saw too and said that he'd help me paint if I moved in. I feel better knowing that someone I care about and trust feels like it would be OK for me to live there.

This morning I applied. I'm worried about my credit, but I told the realtor that I could get a co-signer if need be. I did manage to buy a brand new car in January with the credit I have, but you never know...sometimes landlords are really picky. I should know hopefully by the end of the day or by tomorrow. I really hope I get it!

9 comments:

G.W. said...

Good luck Mags.

If/when you get this apartment you could always have a "paint party" and have friends come help at least get a base coat of primer on to save you and B1 some time and energy. A friend of mine did it once and we had a blast. I still get picked on for the "perfect" door I painted.

SilverNeurotic said...

Good luck, I really hope you get it and the landlord lives up to her potential as far as cleaning/fixing the things that are broken.

Rocketstar said...

Get a reference from your current landlord on your "rent' activity.

I'm glad you found such a great partner.

Rocketstar said...

test

LceeL said...

Very cool. B1 one seems more and more like a keeper. Which one of you is going to suggest that the two of you share living quarters?

flipper said...

good luck let me know <3

Kurt said...

I'll paint but I am not ever taking amtrak again.

Travis Cody said...

Good luck!

Linda said...

It's always a good idea to get a second opinion if you can for the very reasons that you mentioned.

Did you hear anything yet? It's about 13 hours after the fact at this point!