Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Letter

I just got an email from my landlord. He said, "A courtesy call would have been appreciated!"

I want to write back to him and tell him that this response is exactly the reason why I am leaving. Or to say something like, "Yeah, because talking to you is always such a pleasure." Or, "That way of communicating with you never seems to produce results."

What an ass. He really thinks he is better than everyone. I can not believe the ego on that man. I can not believe that he treats his tenants that way. Sure, he's not the worst landlord out there-not even by a long shot. But no one talks to me that way and gets away with it. I'm a strong, educated woman who respects herself and others-don't treat me like a worthless piece of shit and expect me to sit around and wait for you to fix things. Uh uh. No way.

I have to admit though, I am nervous. I hate confrontation. I hate knowing that he can come into my apartment at any time-and now, more than ever, he would have reason to. He could easily say that he had to see what it looked like or that he was showing it to someone. I hate feeling like someone is on the verge of walking in when I am home alone. Rationally I know that he probably won't do this-but you never know. I really don't want to get out of the shower one morning to have him there. It's a creepy feeling.

And what do I say to him? Anything? Nothing? Do I ignore his email and just print it out for my records? Do I provide him with an honest explanation? Or do I just write back telling him that putting it in writing was the best option and leave it at that? I really wish it was 7/1 already. Even though I'm not moving in until the 10th, I'll have the keys on the 1st and could go there if I needed to.

Ick. I feel like crying.

10 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

I can imagine how you feel. I was raised to be a "nice girl" and not to be contrary... as a result I fear confrontation.

What that being said, I'd leave he email as it is, and don't answer it. it will only fan the fire and you have fulfilled your tenant obligation to him. Yes, copy that email and file it. You may need it in the future should any issues pop up about deposits.

G.W. said...

I'm also not a fan of confrontation, but I am a fan of speaking my mind. If I were in your situation, a young woman living alone with a "slum-lord" able to enter at will, I would respond, in the most gentle, almost condescending, way.

Explain all of your reasons, his non-responsiveness to problems, the neighborhood not being what you expected, and whatever else that prompted you to leave. Don't word it in a complaining way, just state the facts. Also, put in writing (again) that you will be more that accomodating for him to show the apartment, but you require notice to ensure you or the prospective renters are surprised.

Maybe mention you are moving in with your body building kung fu master boyfriend...hahaha. Got to keep him on his toes

Good luck...

Thomas said...

I actually like confrontation, but only if it doesn't involve me personally.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

You know, he has no right to just enter your apartment. he must knock like anyone else. If you are not there, he must leave a note telling you he entered the apartment.

These are all regulations that I have dealt with in multiple states.

Melisa with one S said...

What a JERK. I'm sorry you have to deal with him. :(

xoxo

LceeL said...

You did all you needed to do. You did it in writing. There is no need for confrontation.

SilverNeurotic said...

You do not have a lease, therefore, you really don't owe him anything. Just let it go and hope for the best. July 1st will be here before you know it.

Amazing Gracie said...

GW's response is probably what I'd do, but you've got to handle it the way that makes you comfortable!
I had one of those "weepy" days today, too. Must be the moon phase!
~~~Blessings~~~

Travis Cody said...

If you followed the terms of your lease or rental agreement when you gave him notice that you were moving, then you did all that was necessary. If you didn't have a lease or rental agreement, and are current on your rent payments, then you could move all of your stuff today and leave the key on the kitchen counter.

I don't know how it is in Boston, but I can't recall any rental unit I ever lived in that required an explanation for why I was vacating. All I had to do was follow the terms of notice, which in most cases was 2 weeks to 30 days in advance. They might ask, but it's none of their business. And as far as a "courtesy call"...you did your landlord the courtesy of notifying him in writing of your intention to vacate.

Marilyn said...

((hugs)) I hate confrontation too. I'd send it all in an e-mail, after I moved out... but that's me. I like closure, but only when things are really over.

Also, I heard of this guy who knows a guy... think he's on facebook.