Friday, May 14, 2010

Love Sick

Love


When I woke up yesterday, my skin was flaming hot-hotter than normal. I thought it was because I was wearing a sweatshirt and B1 was curled up against me. My head ached, but I thought it was because we stayed up too late. I opted to go into work late so I could take some Tylenol, have coffee and eat a good breakfast. When I finally did go into work, I only stayed for 1/2 hour because when I closed my eyes, the world started spinning and I couldn't concentrate.

I had a temperature of 100.3.

One of the worst parts of living alone is being sick. Though you do have the solitude you need to rest quietly, you also have to go out and get your own medicine and ginger ale. At 100.3, that's not really something I like doing. But I went, and I took the medicine and I slept for 4 hours. Beyond the headache and the aches and pains, I never really felt horrible. I couldn't-and can't-figure out what kind of sick this is. This morning nothing really hurts, though I'm still a little tired....I'm staying home to rest.

I have not yet told you the most important part of the story. Last night B1 worked until 8pm and the minute he got out of work he called me to see how I was and immediately asked if I needed anything. I thanked him and said I didn't and told him I went out to get medicine and sick supplies earlier. He then told me that if I did need anything to call him and he'd be there.

I had a *sigh* :) moment and sank back into the couch.

About an hour later-the time it takes him to get to my house-he called again. He said that he didn't want to scare me by knocking on my front door, so he called instead. He was here, at my house, unannounced. When I walked down the stairs, I could see that he had flowers in his hands. My cute boy went out after work to get me flowers, drove an hour over to my house and came to check on me. He hugged me and rubbed my head, kissed my forehead and asked me what he could get me.

He's the best boyfriend ever...

...and I have a question for all of you who have significant others. Or even those who currently do not, actually: How long into the relationship did you feel like you were in love and how long did it take you to say it out loud to him/her?

The night I met him I knew there was something there-you remember how excited I was about meeting him. When we went on our first date I knew that I could love him and the day he took me to the beach and came to my friends picnic with me I knew that I wanted to love him and that I was falling in love. Last night when he showed up on my door step, I loved him.

I did not tell him, because I don't want to throw it out there too lightly. I know we're going to be together and I know that we've taken the time to get to know each other as well as anyone can in two months. But I don't want to say it and then not mean it or say it too soon and not get it in return. At the same time, I want him to know how special he is and how he makes me feel. I tell him this everyday, of course, in those words. But "I love you" are words I only reserve for the most special people and he has become one of them.

So how long did it take you to know and to tell?

12 comments:

Shutterbug8162 said...

I think I kind of already answered this when on another of your posts I admitted to being overly cautious at first with Mark. But I can put a firm date/time on when I knew I was in love with him. It was around 2 months. We had our first date early June and by the big cookout when he stole my heart by treating me like his prize, was second week in July. I knew then there was no turning back. I know for him it was sooner, but he was patient and waited for me to come around.

If it helps, in my only other serious relationship it was about 3 months. So I'd say there's an average trend here. But I would also caution, that you can't time something like that. Either you know its time, or its not. If you feel it, go for it!

LceeL said...

There is only one person who can answer that question - that's you. It's obvious you love him. That's great. It's also obvious you're a bit gunshy. Don't be. Tell him. Let him tell you. He may be waiting to hear it from you - just as you are waiting to hear it from him. Don't do that to each other. Just tell him - so he knows - so he knows it's safe to tell you.

SilverNeurotic said...

The Ex and I fell in love very quickly, we had an immediate connection (he said I love you first)...after just a few weeks.

When the time is right to tell him the four letter word, you'll know it. It'll feel right.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I said it first in my relationship with Nancy. It was about 2 months into the relationship, maybe a tad sooner. Nancy did not say it back that night, but I understood.

She did say it soon after.

BUT...let me say that any man who, after two months, leaves work at 8pm, stops and buys flowers and comes to your door is in love.

Yes he is.

so, if you feel it in your heart and in your toes...and the time comes where the words are sitting at the back of your teeth, open your mouth and let the words come out.

You know you can soften it a tad by saying "You keep treating me like this and you will have to deal with my love, you know!"

Julia Smith said...

Strangely enough, my husband and I switched over from friends to romantic partners on a weekend when I was really sick and he took good care of me. Hmm...

Marilyn said...

I don't remember. I know I said it first. I know it was a big deal at the time... but almost ten years later, that exchange still has the power to make me a little uneasy. Maybe it's the physical distance right now. You know, you say it out, and you know he's going to say it back but even how he says it... sheez, I'm not making sense. Except maybe that I'm still a basket case after all these years. It's an important word, is all.

flipper said...

aw! Thats so sweet!! I realized I love Jeremy at a specific moment ill share with you over email if you would like. It was very profound and it was about 6 months after we started talking. I liked him so much before this moment, but at that moment I KNEW how deeply i loved him, and wanted to love him forever. He had already told me he loved me almost two months before, but I did not say it back because I did not want to tell someone those so special, meaningful words without knowing if I 100% felt that way. I told him a couple weeks later as we were watching fireworks. He had the biggest smile and later bragged to his friends how romantic I was to tell him the way I did. =) My boyfriends pretty great too ya know! But I'll give you this one, because that it pretty darn great of him!! yay for you meeting B1!!!!!!!!
(If I was you I would prob wait a little longer to tell him you love him, but then again, I dont know how you guys are)

Rocketstar said...

Congrats again on the find of B1. For us, we knew after the first date, ti was the great conversation and the great meshing we both felt. The L word, I think we both felt it long before we said it. There is no rush to declare that, ti does complicate things a bit and why rush it, they are stroing words and the if the feeling is real, it will only grow in strength.

Mags said...

Thank you everyone for your stories and advice....as of right now I think that I will hold these words dear to my heart and save them for when I just feel the moment is right. It could be tomorrow, it could be in a month...but when I feel like it's right I'll tell him. Like Rocket said, I know, the feelings are there, but it'll only grow in strength.

Thanks again...

"Lois Grebowski" said...

:-D
I'm smiling. He knows what a treasure you are...

Travis Cody said...

I was "hooked" after my first date with Pam. It was a couple of months later that I understood what that meant.

But I submit that there's no time pressure. You know it when you know it, and you say it when you feel it's right to say.

Desert Songbird said...

What Vinny said. And Travis. :)

You know what's in your heart. You can start with, "I love being with you." Something along those lines.

When I met my husband, we started out just as good friends. I grew to love him because of the genuine respect and trust that built up between us. After about four months, we knew we were in love and serious about staying together. That was 22 years ago; we've been married for 19. :)