Saturday, May 15, 2010

Can I Get There By Candlelight?

Tonight I am making B1 a special dinner. Though I have cooked for him once and made him a picnic lunch I don't feel like I've actually made a special knock your socks off dinner yet and I really wanted to. I thought that I would have a very hard time deciding on what to make him but really, it's a no brainer. Both of us love Mexican food. I happen to have a recipe for really good chicken enchiladas. Voila-dinner.

Along with the enchiladas I'm making black beans and cilantro rice. I've made this meal for quite a few people before and each time I've heard that they were fantastic. The Mom even said they were the best she's ever had and Linda Loo says that if she were gay, she'd marry me based on this meal. So...I think I'm safe in my choice.

Dessert is perhaps the most important part of this meal. On our first date, B1 almost jumped over the table and kissed me when I told him I could make creme brulee. Apparently, it's one of his favorite desserts. I didn't want to make just plain creme brulee though-especially with this meal. So I made Mexican creme brulee-chocolate and cinnamon with a touch of orange on top. I'm still on the fence about the orange but we'll see. I hope he likes it.

My original plan was to have B1 help me finish the meal. I already roasted the chicken and I'd have the rice cooking but I was going to have him help me assemble the enchiladas and the rice so we could cook together in the kitchen. I think he'd really enjoy that and I know I would too. But then this meal became a surprise. And then there's this:





Every candle I own has made its way into my dining room and will be lit when he walks in tonight. The table will be set nicely and while I won't be dressed up in a fancy dress, I won't be wearing jeans either. I was thinking of a cute cotton dress I recently got with a pretty cardigan. I want him to know how special he is and I think that having a romantic home cooked dinner like this will do it.

With anyone else I'd feel stupid lighting all of the candles and setting up my apartment to look like this. But for some reason with him, I don't. I know that he will appreciate it and that he will love that I went to the trouble to do this for him. He would never laugh at me for doing this-never make me feel silly for wanting to have a special dinner here in the dining room instead of in front of the TV or at the kitchen table.

And so...he can't help me. Not tonight. We have a really long time to cook together...tonight is just for him.

3 comments:

Travis Cody said...

It sounds wonderful.

Linda said...

Yep, I remember saying that and I meant every word of it!

I have no doubt that this was one of the most memorable dinners you've ever had and I can't wait to hear how it went! Once you recover that is! ;-)

Mrs. OrioleGal9 said...

So, how did it go?

On a side note...looking at your list of restaurants to try...I haven't been to Daniel but about 2 years ago we went to DB Bistro Moderne...and it was fabulous!!!