Monday, March 15, 2010

No H or HW

Let this be a warning to all of you REAL mice...

Don't come inside!

That's Bella's favorite toy. The other day she was flinging it around and it landed in her water bowl. I was on my way out, so I flipped it into the kitchen sink and forgot about it until I was doing dishes. In order to dry it out, I hung it as you see above. It's been a couple of days now and it's just about dry, but every time I go into the kitchen it makes me chuckle. Poor little toy!

I was home from work all day today. I woke up to that huge leak in the ceiling and had to deal with changing buckets. Then I had no heat because the water in the basement knocked the burner off. And now, I have no hot water. If I had the money, I would move tomorrow. The landlord, though very nice, is not really proactive and responsive.

I text messaged him and emailed him to ask for a tarp. He said he'd take care of it when he could because the basement was flooded. When I told him I had no heat he said that his "guys" were by and tried to start the boiler but couldn't so I should call the oil company. I know he was lying because hours before that I called them already and they came to fix it...and I had heat when he claims they tried to fix it. That really pissed me off so I told him that I wasn't sure who's boiler they tried to fix, but it wasn't mine, because it had been working for hours. He had no response.

Now, I have no hot water. I told him at around 4pm. At 6pm he wrote and said he was working on it and at 8:30 I still hadn't heard from him and no one was by. He emailed me and told me that his guys were trying but it's a tough situation and I might not have water in the morning. About a half hour later, he said they started the hot water heater and to try it in the morning. I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I just boiled lots of water and washed my hair just in case.

As much as I loved Little House, there's not way I would have been able to hack it!

But even with all my bitching today, I know things could be a lot worse. Just down the street people were evacuated today because the water was so high and powerful. Roads are closed everywhere and my town has been included in the batch of "worse floods" in the area. I have heat, I have clean hair and the ceiling is no longer dripping...yes, things could be a lot worse indeed.

4 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

ok,your post label says it all...I'm at least glad you're safe.

Glad I'm not a mouse...

Linda said...

Sounds like you did not have a fun day AT ALL. But you're right in that could be a lot worse; I'd heard that parts of Waltham were being evacuated it was so bad up there. Still, having a lousy landlord totally sucks - I wonder if yours is by any chance related to my old one because he was never very concerned about things either and hence the reason he's no longer my landlord!

Best wishes for a better day tomorrow complete with heat AND hot water both!

LceeL said...

I don't know what to say - except stay dry. And warm.

Travis said...

That's right...it could always be worse. Hang in there!