Monday, March 22, 2010

A Long Weekend

Boy am I exhausted! This was a busy, busy weekend, even though there were no plans for it to be. Friday night I went out with my friend Jill. We went to a hole in the wall bar in Boston-the kind you would pass if you didn't know it was there. I loved it. The food was good and the drinks were tasty and while I spent too much money and had one too many drinks, it was fun. There was a live band and after dinner we walked over to the other side of the place to listen.

Every now and then I get a weird feeling that someone recognizes me from the blog. I know that it happened with at least one reader in my old neighborhood-we rode the T together on a night where I was gross and sweaty and probably smelled like beef because I just came from the ball park and cooking. So anyway, I sometimes get nervous that this is the case. When I lived in CT lots of "strangers" read my blog, but none of them really seemed to live around me. Being here in Boston has changed that. I have many local readers now (most of you are lurkers) and whenever someone stares at me for just a few seconds too long, I start to wonder if they'd know what Randomivity is or if they've ever wanted to answer Toosdae ?'s. I also worry that they'll be disappointed in who I really am in real life. The reason I bring this up is that Friday night someone glanced over at me several times, almost as if they thought they knew me. I was waiting for my cover to be blown, but the group left and I was safe.

*phew*

Saturday my friend and I planned on taking a crazy road trip-the kind where you just get in the car and drive and wherever you end up is the place you were meant to be. We thought it would be an adventure and during the first 1 1/2 hours we drove around through back woods and up hills and around corners and away from the highways. We didn't know where we were and around noon we decided to stop at the next interesting town to have lunch. That's when I took a left and cracked up. Somehow-and I couldn't do this again if you paid me-I ended up in the exact same place we started! Right down the street from my apartment! We laughed and laughed about how this happened and then we decided to eat lunch there, since this street has bunches of restaurants. We settled on Mexican, which is always a good choice for food and travel.

During the lunch conversation we chatted about dating and the people we've encountered since the last time we hung out. Somehow, he started talking about a quiz that he took which revealed that "With the right person" he'd be open to cross dressing. This is hysterical to me! If you knew him, you'd secretly wonder if he didn't already do this but then say, "Nah...". But the best thing about this story is that he didn't tell me quietly. Instead, he said it in an "outside voice" and the man at the table next to us looked over and laughed. My friend did not notice this, but I did and it made me giggle.

Just as we were ending our lunch my dad texted me and asked if I wanted to go down for dinner the next day. Because my road trip was so short and it was such a nice day, I decided to head down Saturday after I dropped my friend back at his car. The trip down was great-I listened to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" which is one of my favorite Saturday things to do, and drove with the sunroof wide open. When I got to CT, we chatting on the porch and got ready for dinner out.

The next day, yesterday, my mother and I went shopping. This is huge because she's a shopacholic and can't get through a store without buying something. Her goal was to get some tops for the spring/summer season but I also wanted her to look for dresses for my sister's wedding. Sadly she didn't find a dress but I managed to find a my new perfume! I wanted something classic and not too floraly because I tend to go toward more spicier, warmer fragrances. I chose this:

It smells delicious and while it was a little expensive I feel so pretty and fresh when I wear it. I don't think it's too overpowering, which is great and it wears off well too.

After the first round of shopping, we planned a cookout. We bought chicken, hot dogs, ribs and corn. Sadly, the grill didn't work! I managed to cook everything OK in the oven but it would have been oh so good if we had the grill. Either way, it was fun.

LAST my sister's wedding dress came in. We drove down to Orange CT to pick it up and while she was checking out, my mother tried on dresses. I ended up picking out the dress she bought. In fact, it's the dress I wanted to buy for our bridesmaids gowns but it was too expensive. It's a beautiful deep purple with ruffles all down it. It's very elegant and she looks great it in. The only trouble is that they did not have it in her size. I asked them to call around to see if someone else would have it. Luckily, a store up here does and she called them to hold it for her. I'm picking it up today after work.

I'm tired just typing all of this! I got home around 9:30 last night and I think I was in bed by 10-which is very early for me. I still feel tired today, but it was a good weekend, so it's OK. What did you do this weekend?

7 comments:

Linda said...

One of these days when you take one of your Connecticut trips you should stop in on your way home ... just saying!

Anyhow, it sounds like you had a great weekend all the way around from start to finish and it's no wonder you're tired! I'd be wiped out myself but then again, I seem to get wiped out just spending way too much time at work lately. All of these 56-hour weeks are a bit telling on an old gal!

I'm glad to hear that your mom found a nice dress, that's one worry that can be checked off for your sister's wedding - which sounds like it's coming along great!

I worked this weekend - what a surprise! - and sandwiched in a drive to Massachusetts to check out the old Medfield State Hospital grounds. I also got lost in Rhode Island on the way home ... happens every time! Smallest state in the union and I can't seem to drive through it without getting lost just about every time! What's up with that??

Shutterbug8162 said...

Whew, that was a whirlwind weekend, but aren't they the best.

I am happy to report that I am back to work (not happy about that) but happy that that means daily blog reading again!! Yay!

LceeL said...

What did I do for the weekend? Let's see ... Got in a fight with LM over #3 Son and his attitudes about college and work, etc. Made up. (That's ALWAYS fun) Hid from the rotten weather on Saturday. And the cold weather on Sunday. Cleaned house. Did dishes. Posted the new challenge word for the 100 Word Challenge and then, lastly, forgot to post to my own blog.

SCBF (pronounced Skuh-Boof) = Senior Citizen Brain Fart

Marilyn said...

Wait Wait is my favorite part of Saturday. Sounds like you had a great weekend and maybe you ended up back at home because you are where you belong... except for the stupid landlord.

SilverNeurotic said...

I ended up watching entirely too much tv. I was pretty tired after my last minute trip to NYC so I camped out in front of the tv and watched Lifetime. It was pretty relaxing.

Bond said...

wonderful weekend you had...isn't it nice to not have any plans and then up smiling over all you did?

maryt/theteach said...

Mags, thanks for posting positively about medical insurance in Massachusetts. My nephew lives just outside Boston and he must pay for insurance, otherwise I don't think he would. It's important to have coverage but some people don't think so... I listen to "Wait, wait don't tell me" too! :)