Thursday, March 04, 2010

Dress Me Up, Buttercup

I shouldn't be spending money. And for the most part, I am not. I can justify the baseball tickets because they are a gift (and I also make sacrifices each year to attend at least 2 games) but other expenses right now are just not in the cards. I am, however. losing weight. I got for a 2nd "official" weigh in on Monday, but my home scale shows a total of 5 pounds lost so far (in exactly 1 week). I fully expect to lose more.

Most of the pants I have now were already a tiny bit too big on me. I suspect that within a couple of weeks they'll be completely in the "too big" category. Work pants I can get altered but jeans, not so much. Old Navy is one of my favorite places to buy clothes. I have to buy them online though, because they discontinued their plus size line IN stores. Usually I'd say screw you and not buy clothing from them (why are fat people so embarrassing to you ON?), but they are the only place I can get jeans that fit me well and actually look good on. They are also one of the only places that sell plus size clothing that does not look frumpy or old. In any case, I received an email with a very good promotional code and so today I bought myself an outfit. I got a pair of dark wash jean for $19 (Usually $32):

a canary yellow cardigan (which I've literally wanted for 2 years) for $20:

and a gray shirt for $15 (which can be worn to work or casually with the jeans):

The clothes are all one size smaller than I am currently wearing.

Some might say it's dicey, ordering clothing that I know wouldn't fit me today if I tried them on (well, the cardigan probably would) but I am confident that I'll get there soon. And it's not like I ordered them in crazy small sizes that I won't see for at least 8 months. So I am excited to be getting a cute new outfit that I can dress up or down depending on what I'm doing (Dates? No problem! Work? Wear dress pants instead!) and also providing myself with a small reward when I get there. I honestly think I'm only another 5 pounds away from the jeans...but only time will tell!

And now, my shopping is done. (At least until I need to go down another size!)

7 comments:

Clancy Pants said...

You go, Mags! Love the new clothes... such a fun springy cardigan!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

Those are the perfect pieces to update your existing stuff... LOVE the grey top!!!! It's all worth it.

My mom used to say, one compliment knocks it to half price, and two makes it free! :-D)

Rocketstar said...

girls and their clothes shopping, I don't get it but them again guys are not held to the same fashion standard as girls; a pair of pants and a shirt and we are good to go.

SilverNeurotic said...

Old Navy is pretty decently priced too. There's one plus size store that caters exclusively for young crowd (Torrid) but they are SUPER expensive. My sister is heavy and I went in there once to see if I could buy her a Christmas present but I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on one present when I had A LOT of other Christmas presents to buy.

Shutterbug8162 said...

Yay for new clothes. I've been on a bit of a spending spree lately, too. Surprisingly since having the baby, I seemed to have lost weight. Been stocking up on some nice spring tops for when I go back to work next week. I love ebay for buying my clothes. The price is right compared to full retail at my favorite store, Lane Bryant. And when I buy on ebay, I figure I am helping someone else out financially. If that makes sense.

I missed 27 of your post, and hate to admit I prob. will never find the time to go back and catch up. But I should be back in the reading groove when I start work on the 15th.

Travis said...

It's important to reward yourself. So a new outfit for the first 5lbs is a good deal.

Melisa with one S said...

The gray top is AWESOME.

Next time you come to Chicago if you stay for a few days we'll drive up to Kenosha (Wisconsin) where there is an Old Navy outlet!