Thursday, February 18, 2010

Rice Cakes

Today is my friend Laurie's birthday and usually in our office, that means cake. Unfortunately Laurie has been having a rough few months with gastrointestinal flare ups and allergies and she's pretty much had to give up everything she eats. And they have no idea why, or even, really, what she can't eat. Poor thing, it's really hard to watch her try to figure it out. In any case, today is her birthday and I wanted to make her something that she could eat, even if it is a tiny bit of a cheat (because of the sugar in the cake)...yes, she's had to even give up sugar. She and I talk about food a lot and over the last week I've pulled info out of her so that I could make a cake. I used unbleached rice flour (because oddly enough, she can eat rice no problem), no dairy (I used water instead of milk) and knocked the sugar content down by half and added unsweetened organic apple sauce. The fat is oil, so again, no dairy.

It doesn't sound so hot, when you list all of those ingredients, right? But I thought I'd give it a whirl because at least it'll give her a little taste of something good on her special day. The batter tasted really good and I even licked the spoon when I was done. It was a little gritty because of the rice flour, but not in a bad way, if that makes sense. I chose to bake it in an 8 inch round pan because she can't have frosting so cupcakes would have seemed sad. This is what the cake looked like when it was done. It's actually quite pretty!

The texture looks great.

And who says plain unfrosted, gluten free, dairy free and mostly sugar free cake has to be ugly?! Not me!

If nothing else, it looks good, no? I have a feeling it'll taste good too. I'm having a lot of fun playing with alternate flours. If it really is tasty, I'll post the recipe for ya.

6 comments:

SilverNeurotic said...

It looks yummy so I hope it tastes just as yummy.

Bond said...

Both my SIL and my niece (my sister's daughter) have both gone onto gluten-free diets.

My niece has some major gastro problems that have made them travel to the Mayo in MN...

Not a good thing.

The cake looks yummy

CrAzY Working Mom said...

It turned out beautifully. I hope that it tasted quite as good. :)

flipper said...

it looks so pretty and yummy! Let us know how it tastes! Doesnt fruit have a lot of sugar in in though?

kat said...

That looks absolutely, mouthwateringly delicious. Craving strawberries now.

Travis said...

You're a good friend. That fruit looks delicious!