Friday, February 26, 2010

Meal Plans

I had a scheduled check up with the doctor yesterday to follow up on my asthma. The great news is that it seems to be under control and she was thrilled with my peak flow readings and the sound of my lungs. I told her I could have a conversation now without getting out of breath and I could even walk up stairs again! I now feel confident that I can start exercising again. Before, I was worried I wouldn't be able to breath (considering I was having trouble when I was even talking!)

I went into this appointment knowing I was going to talk to her about my weight. I was searching through my health care providers website and noticed that they cover bariatric surgery but that they require you to enroll in a 6 month program which includes nutrition counseling and follow ups. We had discussed the option of lap band surgery for me once before but she told me that because of my age she really wants me to lose it without the surgery if possible. I 100% agreed. As I get older, I worry about heart disease, diabetes and my asthma getting worse. My blood pressure is borderline high and I do NOT want to have to take blood pressure medicine.

Like most people who have struggled with their weight for most of their lives, I've tried just about every diet there is. And while I am not currently active enough (due to my asthma) I was pretty active last year when I was unemployed (walked ALL of the time, worked out almost daily at the YMCA). The most I ever really lost was about 10 pounds. I did manage to lose about 50 pounds on Atkins about 5 years ago, but I've come to realize that it's just not realistic for me now. When I did Atkins, I was in a relationship with someone I lived with and he sort of kept me on track. Plus, I know myself. I know that if I do not plan ahead of time and write what I am going to eat every day, I WILL NOT FOLLOW THE PLAN. I don't cook for myself and when I do, I tire of what I've made. I know my failures are mostly willpower related but I also know that the strict schedule and written menus help me-just like my lists help in every other aspect of my life. Without them, I just go willy nilly through my life until I have to stop and take control again. It's all or nothin' with me. I know this...

So. Last night I joined Jenny Craig. Their planned menus, pre-packaged food and portions work for me. I don't have to actively think about what I'm going to eat tomorrow because it's already done for me. All I have to worry about is fruit, veggies and dairy-which is super easy. If I had a family, it wouldn't be realistic. But as a single woman who is on the go, it's just perfect. I didn't join for "life" like I've done in the past. I can never afford to stay on this plan for a long time. Instead, I just joined to lose 20 pounds. That's a good enough number for me to get a jump on things and to start seeing results. I have about 80 pounds to lose and I'm looking forward to easing into it with a plan.

I've heard that the university gym is disgusting. Now, I realize that my source might be a little picky and that it's probably not as bad as he says. But I'm pretty sure that I'm going to find a different gym. My health insurance gives me $150 back once I've been enrolled in a gym for 4 months. So I'm going to visit a few this weekend to see what they're like, and join. (I'll check out the university gym first, of course-because it's free.)

I'm hoping that once and for all, I can shed this weight I've had on me since college. People tell me all of the time that I looked younger than I am and that I am beautiful. Yes, this is true, but I can look better. I can feel better. I can be healthier. It's just the right thing to do, and I really pray this is it. It'll always be a struggle. But hopefully with a little discipline and hard work, it'll get a little easier.

7 comments:

G.W. said...

Best of luck with the weight loss journey. If you ever have questions about weight loss surgery, please let me know. I have a few people close to me that have undergone procedures.

I also seem to study a lot about nutrition and fitness and follow a few blogs on the subject and have a couple of good friends who are personal trainers.

Good luck, and remember that you are beautiful regardless what the scale says.

G.W. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kat said...

Where to start? I'm happy that the asthma is under controll. I am struggeling with the same issue and have roughly the same amount of weight to lose. I used to do great with Weight Watchers when I was single but now it's difficult also because when I am cooking I cook for the hubby too and he is extremely picky(the list of things he doesn't eat is a lot longer than of the things he does eat) and that makes it difficult.

In the end I know it's all excuses and I realize that I gotta get my big butt moving, moving, moving...You're totally on the right track.

xoxo from across the pond

SilverNeurotic said...

Both my parents are overweight as is my sister. I'm right on the cuff of a healthy BMI and it's really hard to stay on the right side when so many other family members don't have healthy eating habits.

My mom had gastric bypass and at first it seemed like the best thing she could have done for herself-but then she gained a lot of the weight back. It's only as effective as any healthy eating plan. It's up to you keep it up.

My dad fortunately is losing a lot of weight thanks to being under a diet plan in the hospital, and being constantly forced to exercise in PT. He's still a big guy-but he's six foot five-so that's just his build.

There's really no point to this comment. I guess I just wanted to let you know that you definitely are not alone with struggles. I hope that you find a program that works for you.

Danielle A. said...

Good luck, girl! I know you can do it - heck, if I can do it anyone can do it. If you need a person to check in with let me know... Steve is all done losing weight and I still have 20-25 lbs to go so I can be your check-in girl. That'll put me at 80 totalish pounds too... :)

Thomas said...

Nice to hear that you're doing Jenny Craig. I wish I was as well; she's pretty hot.

Travis said...

Good for you! You know, it worked for my two teenage celebrity crushes...Marie Osmond and Valerie Bertinelli.

May the Lords of Dance announce on Monday that Valerie will be on DWTS this season.