Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Flax Muffins

And so it begins...low carb livin' for me. So far, so good. I know it's only 10am, but hey, it's something! After the flax seed bread debacle (yes, I'll call it that now. I'll still eat the stuff, but it's not that good.) I was determined to find a recipe that used this miracle seed. As I mentioned before, breakfast is the meal I have the most trouble with so I wanted to use it for muffins. After searching the net and comparing recipes, I found this one:


8 T. Butter, melted
3 Eggs
1/4 C Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Splenda
1 T. Vanilla
1 t. Cinnamon
1 t. Nutmeg
1 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Baking Soda
1 C. Flax meal
1/4 C. Soy Flour
1 C. Blueberries

Actually, the recipe included walnuts and coconut, but I eliminated them. I prefer female baked goods (no nuts) and while I like coconut, I didn't need the added fat. I also eliminated the nutmeg and added a teaspoon of cinnamon (making the total cinnamon count 2 t.). I just like cinnamon a lot and it's also good for you!

The batter was thick. It didn't drop freely off of the spoon and I had to use another spoon to coax it into the muffin tin. When it baked, they rose just over the rim and where firm to the touch-not crispy, but not springy like a "normal" flour muffin. I was worried about the texture, but truthfully, it's really good. Yes, they are grainier than a "normal" muffin but that's to be expected. It's like ground up nuts in the muffin and for some reason, this does not bother me. The flavor is pretty fantastic. There's none of that weird soy taste and the Splenda is not significant enough to make the muffins overly sweet. In fact, the only real sweetness is from the blueberries (which I got at an awesome price at TJ's, I might add). This batter made 12 muffins.

The best part about this recipe is that each muffin has only 6 net carbs. Not only that, but I get the benefits of flax and blueberries while tricking my brain into thinking I'm eating flour. Really, it's a win-win situation and even when I introduce carbs back into my diet, I think I'll keep this recipe. I will, however, change the heavy cream to milk to get rid of some of the fat. Otherwise, it's a keeper!

Lunch today is Chicken Adobo and garlic cabbage...both of which I made last night. Looking forward to it! What are you having for lunch?

3 comments:

Bond said...

Do you really want to know?

I had breaded and fried some chicken tenders over the weekend..so I had a small hoagie roll with two of them on it and some sugar cookies...I did not eat the potato chips

Linda said...

These sound pretty tasty though I think I would prefer the "male" version with nuts and I do like coconut, too. Perhaps I'll have to see if I can find the ingredients and work up a batch myself at some point as I know that lo-carb is what's best for me and breakfast is always a problem - especially on the days that I work.

Travis said...

I had a lunch size pasta meal...Beefaroni to be exact.

Yesterday I had a chicken bacon ranch sammich from Subway. Tomorrow I suspect I'll have chicken penne pasta.

Yes I know...I'm a carb-aholic!