Monday, February 08, 2010

Boy Bands & An Ethiopian

Friday night a friend and I went out on the town. We had planned on going out near one of the ivy league universities in the area that has a square. But while I was able to get a parking space my friend was not. 45 minutes after I parked she was still circling. Later, we found out that a certain ex-boy band member was being given an award, which is why the square we so crowded. It also explained the camera crews.

Needless to say, we didn't stay in the area.

Instead, she picked me up (we didn't want to lose my parking space, after all!) and we drove over to the next town. I'd been to a few pubs in that square and knew that it would at least be busy and that we'd have a good night. We chose an Irish pub that is pretty well known that was bustling with people.  Almost immediately I made eye contact with a cute boy with red hair.  He was almost burly and he was wearing an Irish sweater.  Sort of weird, actually, and stereotypical, but he might actually have been Irish knowing this place.  He looked at me a few more times and finally came over to my friend and I.  He stood facing us, opened his mouth and then turned around quickly.  He chickened out.  This is somewhat flattering, but also frustrating.  It's been a loooong time since I've been approached in a bar and the fact that there was this potential was exciting.  And then it fizzled.  If our table had not been ready at the precise moment, I would have said hello.  But it was ready, and my friend and I walked away and the burly red head was never to be seen again.

Unfortunately, another man was seen.  A very weird man came over to our table and asked to sit down.  My friend said "no" but he sat down anyway.  We looked at each other and sort of laughed and went along with this strange man sitting with us.  We could not understand most of what he said.  His accent was very thick and the music was loud.  What we did get out of the conversation was that he is from Ethiopia and that it takes 20 hours to fly here.  He thinks he is old (he's 30) and he loves girls with bangs. (FYI-neither of us have bangs!)  Over the course of the next 2 hours, this man visited our table at least 3 other times.  He blocked us in so that we could not leave the table and kept us hostage while telling us we needed to broaden our horizons, never to buy a house, and that our lives would be over once we turned 30. (We somehow convinced him that she was 18 and I was 20!!)  He was nice, but also weird.  And he had bad breath.  Which sucked because he leaned over our table and talked right into our faces.

The last time he came over I started looking at passerbys with crazy eyes secretly asking them to come save us.  No one did, but I think the Ethiopian man saw me because he said it was the last time he'd bother us and he said goodnight.  Not wanting to test the theory of whether or not he was telling the truth, my friend and I stood up and went to leave.

Only to see that he was standing by the door.  Seriously, this man never quit.  As we approached he tried getting our attention.  Luckily my friend was not having any of it and she blew past him in a flurry of red.  We burst into the cold night air laughing and looking behind us, hoping he would not follow.

Luckily, he did not.

And so that concluded our night out.  Our night where we hoped to talk to cute boys while flirting and laughing.  Instead I got a no talker and a super stalker.  But at least I got a story to tell.

5 comments:

"Lois Grebowski" said...

Darn that red-haired boy, he didn't know what he was missing!

Oh well...

Dayngr said...

It's all about the blog-worthy stories isn't it? Thank goodness life is full of them.

CrAzY Working Mom said...

Why is it that the ones we DON'T want to bother us are the ones that always DO!?!

Mo said...

Silly red-haired boy, you just missed out on the best thing ever!

SilverNeurotic said...

Hehe, well that explains that Facebook status from the other day!