Sunday, January 10, 2010

What's Cookin? Pasta w/ Roasted Cauliflower! (or) Family Visit


Today my parents, sister and niece are coming to see my new apartment and to have lunch. Because I have room for them again, I decided that instead of going out, I'm going to cook and we'll eat here. This is what makes living outside of the city worth it...being able to have people over for dinner and for parties. It's fantastic.

About a month ago I was very busy and so I asked The Family to pick 3 recipes for me to cook for them. I didn't have time to create a menu for that week and had even less time to make an ingredient list. When I got to their house I found the recipes and was very worried about one of them. It had roasted cauliflower (which I love), tomatoes and spinach. It sounded so incredibly bland. But when I looked deeper into the recipe, I saw crispy prociutto, cheese and garlic. The resulting dish was so flavorful and delicious, I kept it for myself. It's what I'm making for my family today when they get here. Below is the recipe. It's all over the internet, too, so their last private chef clearly googled it, but I'm OK with that...

Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, Arugula & Prociutto

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
One-half medium head cauliflower, cored and cut into 3/4-inch florets (3-1/2 cups)
1 pint grape tomatoes
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
9 large fresh sage leaves
4 large cloves garlic, peeled
6 thin slices prosciutto (about 4 oz.)
12 oz. dried orecchiette
5 oz. baby arugula (5 lightly packed cups)
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.

Toss the cauliflower, tomatoes, oil, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper on a rimmed baking sheet; spread in a single layer. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the cauliflower begins to turn golden and tender, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, pulse the sage and garlic in a food processor until minced. Add the prosciutto and pulse until coarsely chopped. Once the cauliflower is golden, toss the herb mixture into the vegetables and continue to roast until fragrant and the cauliflower is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.

Boil the orecchiette until al dente, 9 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta-cooking water. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Stir in the roasted cauliflower mixture, arugula, cheese, and enough pasta water to moisten. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Photo by Me
From Fine Cooking 96, pp. 115a
October 24, 2008

4 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

What time is lunch? LOL!

That sounds yummy. I love all those ingredients... I may have to make that sometime.

SilverNeurotic said...

I think I'd like this dish except for the prosciutto, is there something that could be substituted?

Mags said...

Lois-I wish you could have been here!! Maybe one day I'll get to have you guys over for lunch or dinner if you're in the area. :)

Nikole: Anything, really...bacon would be the easiest substitution but I think it would be too over powering. If you didn't like the prociutto, I'd just take it out. But it's OH-SO-GOOD!!!!

CrAzY Working Mom said...

OMG, this looks amazing! How many Weight Watchers points is a serving? heh heh heh