Saturday, January 16, 2010

Title Unknown

Last night I co-hosted an event downtown. I didn't expect to be a co-host but I got an email from the original host-who I've met several times-asking me to jump in just in case she was late. Well, she was and so for about a half hour I had to greet people and make small talk. It wasn't all that bad and when she got there, I just sat back and enjoyed myself. So that was good. The place we went to brews their own beer. I have to admit that this doesn't really make me super excited because it's always so hard to figure out what kind of beer you want. Unless of course, you order this:


I did not order that. However the host did and she liked it very much. She also got these two large soft pretzels that they serve with a spinach cheese sauce. It was so good, I could have bathed in it. I really thought about canceling my order and getting those for dinner. But I didn't. Instead, I got a nice juicy burger and fries. It was oh so delicious and the conversation was fun too. After a few hours, we broke off and went our separate ways. It was a good night.

I parked in my old neighborhood-well, a few blocks up, but pretty much where I used to live. It's right on the T line and I didn't want to worry about parking downtown. The minute I stepped outside I missed living there. The sounds, the smells...it was sort of sad. It's such a vibrant place always filled with excitement and life. When I got on the T though, I remembered the annoying parts-like annoying kids who don't think about anyone but themselves and packing in like sardines having to smell the smelly guys or listen to drunk college students singing at the top of their lungs. Yes, I loved it there, but I think if I ever live in Boston again, it would be in a more grown up area.

You might remember that my goal for this weekend is to do pretty much nothing. I want and need to relax and recoup and get myself organized again. My day started out good-I managed to sleep until 10am. I know I slept well because I when I looked in the mirror I had a big crease running down my cheek letting me know I didn't toss and turn much. I probably would have slept later but I got woken up by a text message from the widower. I did not reply. But that's a story for another day...

So my relaxing day started out well but ended with me being out until 7pm. To be fair to myself, I did go to see Avatar (loved it!). But I pretty much sucked at staying home and doing nothing.
I went to IKEA to pick up some pillow covers and hooks for my jewelry. Let me tell you, it's really hard to believe we are in a recession. People were out in flocks buying carts full of expensive things. It's amazing. When I went to check out, I smiled....

You know how I love the hot dog! I did not get one though because I did get a cinnamon bun. If you haven't had one, you really need to rush out to your local IKEA and get one. Oh, man...they are so good. It was the best $1 I've spent in ages.

I'm home now. I picked up dinner from my favorite Indian restaurant here in town and am committed to doing nothing. I have my book and my wine and candles are lit, Bella's in my lap and my phone is on vibrate. That sounds dirty, like I'm planning on using it for something but really it's just so that stupid widower guy doesn't call me and interrupt my relaxation.

And...I'm out.

8 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

mmmmm. cinnamon rolls!

sounds like a perfect day to me... one without an itinerary...

Mo said...

$1 cinnamon rolls? Forshizzle?


I love the way you write about food:
"a spinach cheese sauce. It was so good, I could have bathed in it"

Glad you had a fun evening!

Mags said...

I forgot that Linda and Mo have never been to IKEA. Besides being super fun to walk around they have wicked cheap food. It's not all yummy but their hot dogs ($0.50!!) and cinnabuns are great. They're baked fresh right there and are always warm and gooey.

Desert Songbird said...

I LOVE IKEA, but it's on the other side of the Valley from me. On a GOOD traffic day, I can get there in about 45 minutes. If I'm lucky, that is. I've indulged in their cinnamon buns once; they are divine!

Melisa with one S said...

Sounds like a nice weekend, even if you did more than you wanted to.

The thing about IKEA is, even though you can spend a chunk of change there, their stuff is still cheaper than if you were to buy it elsewhere in most places. They might be filling IKEA BECAUSE of the recession.

Cinnamon bun? YUM. I'll have to head over there. I'm lucky enough to have an IKEA about 35 minutes north of me as well as one 25 minutes south. :)

Travis said...

You know what I've found about the whole "doing nothing" plan? I've found that it works especially well when you take a Saturday to run some pleasant errands, and then follow it up with a Sunday spent in your sweats reading a book.

Hope that's how your weekend goes!

Palm Springs Savant said...

oh how fun Mags, I love doing stuff like that!

SilverNeurotic said...

The only Ikea in the area (that I know of anyway) is two hours in North Jersey. I used to pass it driving back and forth from NY but I never had time to stop. Maybe when I manage to move out again I'll make an attempt for furniture or what not.