Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ordered vs. Got

Remember the cool hat I ordered last week on Etsy for my trip to Chicago (Friday!)?  Well, talk about being hugely disappointed!!  Take a look at what I ordered versus what I got...I'm not sure which collage will post first, but I think it's fairly obvious which is which.

Needless to say, I'm returning it.  The seller was sort of bitchy about it too.  She was nice at first when she though maybe I'd take her up on her offer to send me a new one.  I declined because of three things:

1. She told me that she was going to send me a photo of the hat for my approval PRIOR to shipping the hat.  She did not do this.  Had she sent the photo as promised, I would have told her to re-make it or refund my money.

2. We discussed (somewhat) at length the yarn she would use.  I wanted a darker charcoal colored yarn which was not shown on her site.  She told me she had this yarn and that it would look great.  She never mentioned that it was "curly" yarn and that it would not work with the pattern well.

3.  It was specifically ordered for my trip to Chicago.  I leave Friday morning and she won't be able to get me a new one by then. 

And so, I told her these things.  She told me that she couldn't please everyone and that she didn't send pictures because she had a bad storm and couldn't photograph the hat in natural light.  Um...OK.  I'm assuming she has at least one lamp in her house though and she could have sent me that.  And let's not forget that I didn't ASK for the picture in the first place.  She offered it out as if it's her standard practice.

This is frustrating.  I know Etsy is a very personal site and that when someone doesn't like an item you made with your own hands it can be hurtful.  But c'mon!  This is clearly not the same hat and I suspect she knows that and THAT is why she did not send a photo.  In any case, I now have to wait until she gets the hat back in her possession and hope that she actually refunds the money.  I really hope so because I don't want to have to go through the dispute process in paypal...

Anyway, guess what I'm doing on my lunch break...

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, that... sucks. You can't even tell it's the same pattern except for the shot of it from the top.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! Honestly, why couldn't she have emailed you and said, well, it doesn't look exactly like the other one, do you still want it, or like you said, just sent a picture of it indoors so you could get a general idea... not very cool.

I hope you can find something nice at the store!

Bond said...

Buying a new hat?

Did I win?

It does suck when you order something and what you get is not what you ordered.

Custom made items can be difficult..but if someone ordered a lemon cake from you and you sent them a devil's food cake, because you could not get the lemons..well HECK-A-DOODLE!

"Lois Grebowski" said...

oh man, that sucks... Maybe you'll find something on sale while in Chi-town...

Marilyn said...

That is very yucky... and the Etsy picture makes it look so pretty too.

Linda said...

Seems like a pretty lousy excuse for not sending a picture and I'm sure you're right that there has to be at least one light in the house somewhere.

Were you able to find something today on your lunch break?

jo said...

That is a shame. I usually have such great luck with Etsy. Every item has been as pictured.

Mags said...

I know, right? It's horrible. The more I look at it the more I get angry. I would NEVER send out a cake that looked like shit or that looked completely different than the picture I have posted. Can she not see that it's so completely different!?!?!

So crazy. She just kept saying she has a 100% positive rating and that she can't please everyone. !!!

CrAzY Working Mom said...

Well, hopefully she'll refund you the money and you can move on. It sucks that you won't have it for your trip. But, clearly it is not the same hat and I can't blame you for not wanting it due to that fact!