Thursday, January 14, 2010

Get It Together (Wo)Man!

I have got to get my act together.  Every now and then I get into a groove (rut?) where I can't seem to be "put together".  This is not just with my outfits, hair and fashion though when I get into this mode I feel ugly and sloppy.  It also has to do with being disorganized, hurried and often times, frustrated.  With everything.  It starts out with something small-like not doing the dishes one night-and ends up with a full out messy life.  Typically there is a breaking point where I end up throwing myself whole hearted into "Operation: Clean Up" mode where I work and work and work until I'm so tired, but organized.  I feel good about myself and my life during these times.  It's a feeling of being in control, and that's a good place to be.

I'm so not there right now.

I'm waking up late which usually translates into me not doing my hair.  This always means I feel ugly.  My hair is naturally wavy and I feel gross when it's left to do its thing.  It often frizzes and it's just not good.  I like my hair smooth and flippy and it's something I get compliments on all of the time, so I know it's nice.  But it takes at least 20 minutes for me to blow it dry, and when I'm late, I just don't have that kind of time.  Another thing I do is shower without washing my hair.  It's not great to wash it everyday anyway, but it drives my crazy when I do this.  I feel itchy and gross and I feel like everyone knows that I've not washed it. (Truth be told though, these are the days I get the most compliments on my hair.)  I do it because the day before I did my hair, and therefore, it looks pretty good.  In any case, I hate it.

Waking up late also means my bedroom quickly becomes a war zone.  Currently, every sweater I own is on the floor.  This happened yesterday morning when I was late.  I couldn't find the sweater I wanted to wear so I had to change my outfit.  One sweater got stuck and the rest tumbled out.  I was so angry and frustrated that I picked them up and threw them to the ground.  They remain there now and most likely will until this weekend.  (Though my neighbor just asked if I'll be home later so that he can give me some steaks...this means they'll probably come inside.  Which means I might end up cleaning tonight when I get home.)

By the time I get on the road to work, I'm flustered and feeling bad about myself.  I feel gross (see above) and disheveled and hungry and tired.  I stop to get coffee and a bagel and feel bad about spending this money and eating that food.  I almost always end up spilling the coffee on myself because of course, I always seem to have tons of things in my hands on the way into the office.

And then the computer is slow.

So...you see?  I need to get it together.  I need to step back and review the situation and take back my organized self.  And then I need to work harder at not letting that one thing slide...whatever it might be.  Because when one little thing slides, everything else goes downhill. 

7 comments:

LceeL said...

Get it together? It seems to me more like you need to take it easy on yourself.

Lois Grebowski said...

Lceel has some wisdom there, but I also understand the female "get it together" need. I go through phases of that. I've been trying to put on makeup more...

Some days it just doesn't happen.

HUGS!

SilverNeurotic said...

I get like that a lot, I don't know why because I have always had the time to take care of everything...but sometimes it just seems like it's more trouble than it's worth.

katherine. said...

I thought your were all the way out on the east coast....but here you are...inside my head.

Kat said...

Sounds like a regular day in my life...so I definitely know what you're up against.

Travis said...

I think you just need to relax. These all seem like small things that build up to one big thing, and that overwhelms you.

We have a checklist of things we keep on the front of the fridge. Each of us picks one every day that we do when we get home. Then we mark it as done. By the end of a week, we've done all the little jobs around the house, and the place stays organized until we decide it's time to do a big cleaning.

(Well...we'll actually get back to that after the construction has been completed, but you get the idea.)

You can imagine that we don't have to do a major cleaning all that often. And the thing we pick to do every night...it usually only takes 15-30 minutes out of the evening.

CrAzY Working Mom said...

OMG, I am the same way! If things get out of place in one area of my life it seems to take over the whole thing. It's quite difficult to get back on task once this happens too. You can do it, though!