Thursday, January 07, 2010

Boys, Boys, Boys

Last night I was asked by a cute boy to go to Chicago.  Now, this was after I mentioned that I was thinking of taking an impromptu trip out there because I'm antsy to travel and have always wanted to visit the windy city, but he still asked.  I told him that would be one heck of a first date.  When he continued to ask, I told him we should meet here in Boston first.  I suppose that makes me a little bit of a party pooper and not much of an adventurer, but really?  Chicago?  What if I hate him?  And I'm pretty sure that would count as more than dinner and a movie and while he is very cute, I'm not gonna put out just because he bought me a deep dish pizza!

Truthfully though, this boy has promise.  He's well educated and well, cute...plus he loves food and loves talking about food.  Clearly he has a sense of adventure which is nice, likes to travel which is a plus and he has a good job, also a plus.  The downfall is that he works nights.  But really, as long as we'd have some of the same days off, that'd be OK.  He's a baseball fan too, which is kind of a must.  And did I mention he's really cute?  (And tall!  I think he's 6'4)

Project Date is in full swing.  I'm actively initiating conversations with people and taking some chances regarding who I contact.  I used to limit myself based on who I thought would like me...mainly based on my body type.  Not anymore.  I've seen some really huge woman with thinner men and they seem very happy.  I don't like skinny guys, but I'm no longer only looking at the chubby ones.  I'm also not worrying about whether or not they are 1 inch shorter than I am.  I honestly can't go shorter than that, but if they are the same height, I think it will be OK.  My aunt married a shorter man and they've been married for quite some time.  I still can't go with baldies though...maybe in a little while, but not right now.  I just can't do it!

One thing I have to laugh at is when I am online and really young guys try to IM me.  Like, 19 year old guys.  They can't possibly be looking for anything more than sex with an older woman and/or someone to take care of them.  Listen little boys, I'm done with immature people and am looking for someone who wants to commit.  Plus, what on earth could we talk about!?!?  Craziness.

I've been chatting with one guy for about 2 or 3 weeks now.  He's nice and cute enough but he rarely asks anything about me.  I've asked him all of the "get to know you" questions, and given him the opportunity to reciprocate but he fails to do so.  In talking with one of my close male friends, I asked him with he thought about it.  He suggested that maybe he was just very polite and didn't want to scare me away and that I should just ask him flat out if there is anything he'd like to ask me.  So I did.  And he said that he doesn't know what to ask people in these situations and nothing was standing out to him at the moment.  I then asked him to tell me what he DID know.  His reply was that he'd have to go back and check through his emails.

What?  Really?  I could understand if we were just talking a few days, but 3 weeks and all you can tell me is that I am a chef and that I used to live in CT?  WTF?  Sorry honey, you're out.  I haven't spoken to him since.  To quote my friend, "What a total failure on his part."

I don't expect to find anyone worthy of a full out relationship anytime soon.  But so far it's been fun trying.  And hopefully, like everyone says, it'll happen when I least expect it.

11 comments:

G.W. said...

As a baldy...don't knock us because we weren't so lucky to keep all of our hair. Unless it's a combover, don't discriminate the bare head. It's not our fault. Ok, I kid. I know it's nothing against us MWOH (men without hair) and it's more of an attraction issue, but I like to tease.

Good luck with your dates, and don't worry because some guy will realize what a catch you are.

Rocketstar said...

I agree, first date in a far away city, recipe for disaster. Good luck.

Bond said...

I think you are doing it right indeed...If after 3-4 emails the person has not asked questions, then they are not into a deeper relationship

Going to Chicago before at least 2 dates on your home turf...ummmmmm not so sure about that indeed...

L-O-V-E that you are putting yourself out there...it can work...I am a living example of it...

Shutterbug8162 said...

Hubby and I are the same height. When we add shoes to the mix, sometimes one of us gets a slight advantage, lol. But its never been an issue for either of us. And... ahem, he'll kill me for saying this... but he's a baldy and I love him dearly anyway. I don't see it as a detriment. When I look at him, I still see him from high school with the coolest, curliest brown hair and those striking blue eyes.

I remember on our third date, both date 1 and 2 he had kept his hat on the entire time. On the third date we came back to his house after my friends wedding reception. As we snuggled on the couch watching tv, he turned the tv off, and said he had something to tell me. He then, carefully and with great trepidation took off his hat and I don't remember what he exactly said, but I could tell he was afraid I was going to turn tail and run. What I did was smile and start making out with him while taking the hat from his hands and tossing it on the floor. I think that just about sealed the deal for us that night. lol.

Shutterbug8162 said...

Forgot to get to the point... my point is despite appearances, it's always about the attraction, either it's there or it isn't. You'll know, and it may even surprise you someday that what finally does strike you isn't an image you had in mind at all. It's like the Andy Grigg's country song, "She's More".

Mags said...

I think you are all forgetting that I have an irrational fear of bald men. It's not a preference...just something that happens. :)

Mags said...

I think you are all forgetting that I have an irrational fear of bald men. It's not a preference...just something that happens. :)

Lois Grebowski said...

I'm glad you're now available. Soon someone will find out what a treasure you are!

Carole said...

You said, "Listen little boys, I'm done with immature people and am looking for someone who wants to commit." Yet, I've noticed that it seems like you always call these guys you're interested in "boys" - girl, you are right, you do not need any more BOYS, you need a MAN. Like seriously, after all you've been through relationship-wise that you've talked about here, I think an older man - like 40+ - who has had a chance to MATURE and figure out who he is and has started to settle down by developing a career and maybe owning his own place, would be great for you - and could appreciate you for who you are and not be threatened by someone smart, talented, confident and beautiful like you. Forget ALL the self-centered, immature boys - find yourself a man - a real, GROWN UP *man*! Boys are idiots. :-D

CrAzY Working Mom said...

I think you made a good decision. If he's datable, he'll respect your decision. :) Can't wait to hear how things go.

Thank goodness your irrational fear is only in men since my little Emily is bald. ;)

Marilyn said...

I totally understand an irrational fear of particular types of men... I have my own, but it would be way TMI. However, I like short men. It's very strange of me, but it's true.