Saturday, December 19, 2009

Party Like A Rock Star

Actually, someone did tell me that I am a rock star last night. I'll take that as a sign they liked everything. I left work at noon to get ready. I needed to stop by Target to pick up a few last minute items as well as get vodka and ice. By 1 o'clock I was home getting things ready. I had lots to do-the week prior was a busy one, so most things needed to wait until last minute. At 3:30 I was shaking and worried I would not get everything done. At 6:30 I knew I over reacted and by 7-when the party was supposed to start, I was sitting down with my first ginger lemon martini waiting for people to arrive.

It was my most successful party yet. Everyone who said they were coming came (with the exception of 2 husbands) and most of the food was gone. Everyone went back for 2nds and 3rds and the drinks I made were wildly popular. Here is how I set the party up:


The tree in the corner is the one I got for $1 at the Christmas Tree Shoppe. It's made of foam balls and is sprinkled with glitter. It's hard to tell in the photos but it's so pretty! I wanted the entire table to be white and silver, so I used only white platters and risers. When I ran out of white risers I used clear vases and filled the bigger one with silver Christmas balls. I then scattered the table with clear, silver and white stained glass pieces and lit tea lights for some added sparkle. Everyone was very impressed and loved it.

Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktail Shots-rimmed with lime juice and celery salt


Duck w/ Blue Cheese, Mandarin Oranges and Toasted Pistachios. My favorite canape from culinary school & a favorite of the night!


This is one I made from my one of my favorite entrees. It's Coriander Encrusted Seared Tuna w/ a White Bean Puree, Cilantro Pesto and Balsamic Drizzle. Next time I'll put the balsamic on the beans and the cilantro on top.


Prosciutto Palmiers. Prosciutto, honey mustard and Parmesan cheese in puff pastry. Another favorite of my guests. To the right of those are Chicken Cigars, which I made for snack day last year.


Of course, my Artichoke Dip


The dining room, all set up. On the left I had Gingerbread Cupcakes w/ Lemon Cream Cheese frosting, Flourless Chocolate Cake w/ Raspberry Coulis and Rum Cake.




Ginger Lemon Martini's-this was made with the vodka I infused for 2 weeks, a splash of lemon and ginger beer. The recipe called for bitters also, but I forgot to but that. The drink was the most popular of the night without it and I'll keep the recipe as is. These suckers are DANGEROUS. I do not like vodka and I drank 5.


Empty glasses at the end of the night...success!



Housewarming presents


As I said, it was a very successful and fun party. There was lots of laughter and food and while my old friends and new friends did not mingle together very much, everyone had a great time. All of my hard work in the apartment did not go unnoticed and people really liked what I've done so far. It really feels like home now...and now, I'm off to CT for my father's holiday party. Pray that we really don't get a foot of snow tonight!

5 comments:

Linda said...

I knew you'd pull it off without a hitch and everything looks and sounds wonderful! Congratulations to you for being a rock star!

And about that snow ... yeah, I'm still hoping it takes a turn in New Jersey out to sea but I kinda doubt it will.

Lois Grebowski said...

Ok, so I had to biggify the canapes... YUM! Especially the duck ones...

I forget about that artichoke dip, I need to make it more often. Love it!

I'm so glad it turned out so well!

Carole said...

Thanks for the blow by blow of your party - the food looks so fabulous, I wish I could have tasted everything you made!! I could never imagine myself making fabulous food like that, what a treat for your friends! Congrats to you on what sounds like a great party! :-)

Rocketstar said...

Wow, that stuff looks awesome. I love teh Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktail Shots, what a great idea!

SilverNeurotic said...

I'm famished just looking at all that yummy food! I'm glad that party went well.