Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What I've Been Up 2

I've been on a pseudo vacation this last week. It started with a visitor on Tuesday and ended today when I had to leave the beach for personal cheffing. Overall, I think it was a nice, relaxing time and I enjoyed seeing someone I don't get to spend a lot of time with anymore.

Wednesday was supposed to be sunny & I was thrilled to wake up to see it to be true. The day was spent walking around Boston, have coffee in Copley Square & reading by the fountains (which is where the photo below came from), around Boston Common (where we watched a street performer take forever to set up) and ended with lunch at Faneuil Hall. While I've done all of these things before, it was the first time (as a Bostonian) that I've had company to do this with, and I have to say, it was a very, very good day for me. I'm glad I took that photo to remind me of it.

Thursday we went to the Red Sox game where we had standing room tickets on the Green Monster. Very, very cool and it was a lot of fun except for the fact that the game was stopped short by rain. We waited it out for a couple of hours but eventually left because I had an appointment the next day...

An interview. An actual interview which I nailed. I walked away feeling like I got the job. The recruiter seemed to think I got the job too. The feedback I got from the employer was that I nailed the interview-I had excellent questions, great answers & presented myself very well. However...over the weekend a former employee (who actually did the job I interviewed for) moved back to Boston, called the company and asked if they had anything open....and so, I am still unemployed.

I'm really upset about it. The job would have been perfect-it paid well and wasn't hard and it was close to the family I cook for. I know it must not be meant to be-but right now, it sure does suck. Especially because I know that if that girl didn't come back, I'd have a job right now.

Saturday we went back to CT where I got a haircut from my favorite stylist. I had her take off 3 inches, not because I wanted my hair shorter, but because I needed her to fix a bad haircut I got in February...it still hadn't corrected itself and it was driving me mad. I told her I didn't care if she had to take off 5 inches-I just needed it done with! I think it came out fine. Saturday also included dinner at Olive Garden (our waitress was soooo slow) and saw The Hangover. Funny movie.

Sunday my sisters and I cooked for my father-well...my sisters and I shopped for the food and I basically cooked. It was supposed to be a sisterly effort but somehow I ended up doing most of it-which is OK, just funny. After lunch we sat around and watched a movie on the porch as a family. Then I was off to the beach.

Some might think that the rain would have made 2 1/2 days at the beach seem like hell & I have to admit that I was worried I'd go stir crazy being that I sometimes can't sit still. However, it was such a relaxing time. My favorite part was reading on the porch at night. It's a good feeling sitting there knowing you don't have anything to worry about at that very minute and that all you have to do is finish your book.

Overall, I think it was a good week and I am so grateful to have had excellent company. Of course, now that I am home, my apartment feels extra empty and it's weird not having someone keeping me company.

4 comments:

Melisa with one S said...

Shoot, I'm sorry about the job, Mags. That totally sucks. I can't imagine how tough it must be to try and keep your spirits up, but...keep trying! Maybe it wasn't meant to be because something else is coming up for you soon. I hope so.

It looks like the rest of the week was fun though! xoxo

Desert Songbird said...

Bummer about the job. You've got a good attitude, though, knowing that you nailed it and would have had it had the former employee not returned. Maybe now you'll start seeing an upturn in the employment market.

Travis said...

It's tough luck about the job, but you should feel good because of how you handled the interview. Things are going to start picking up.

Keep hanging in there!

Ivanhoe said...

Now you made me wonder who that secret person you spent some time with was. Hmmmmm....