Sunday, April 19, 2009

Menu Preview: Week 2

As you know, my first week as a private chef went very well even though it was a tiny bit awkward. This weekend I found myself scrambling to get the menu for next week set in time for the family to do their shopping. To add to the time crunch, I had specific cuts of meat that needed to be used. The family is part of a farm share and they get random meat delivered to them once a month. They are country ribs, ground meats, chops, sausages and a lone (tiny) steak. This made it challenging because it's not necessarily enough for 4-5 servings. I think I came up with some good ideas but I'll let you know for sure which recipes were the best. Here is the menu:

Tuesday:
Hoisin Broiled Country Ribs
Sesame Noodles
Bok Choy

Wednesday:
Ground Beef Stroganoff
Springtime Peas
Blueberry Streusel Bars

Thursday:
Beef Braciole
Penne w/ Simple Tomato Sauce
Garlic Green Beans

The country ribs were the hardest because they are actually 2 different cuts but each cut wasn't enough for a meal. I'll combine them. Depending on how meaty they actually are, I might take them off the bone after they cook to portion them out better.

The other challenge was that tiny steak. I decided to use it to make braciole, which is basically stuffed meat rolled, seared and plopped into sauce to make it extra yummy. By pounding it out and stuffing it, I'll be able to stretch it a bit. Hopefully it'll work out the way I envision!!

The dad is home this week, so I'm cooking for a "new" person...hopefully he'll like it just as much as the girls did last week.

9 comments:

CrAzY Working Mom said...

Good luck. The menu looks yummy! I can't wait to hear about it.

Marilyn said...

Maybe things will be less awkward with another adult at the table? I hope so.

Ivanhoe said...

Wow! I could not make any of these even if I wanted to :o) I braved meatloaf yesterday, that's as far as I stretch ;o)

FRIGGA said...

I'm sorry I haven't been coming around so regularly - but that's awesome that you're a private chef! I think that's so exciting and am curious to know more about it - but before I bombard you with Q's I'll go back and read the posts I've missed :)

Desert Songbird said...

Tell you what, Mags. If you're ever willing to move out here, I'll hire you to cook for my family and me. It's obvious that you love to do it, and I always think of it as a chore.

Bond said...

Menu looks yummy

Have you checked out Mangia Y'all yet?

Travis said...

Very creative. Good luck!

Clancy Pants said...

Go, Mags!

Thomas said...

It's cool how your job allows you to improvise a bit with the menu.