Sunday, April 19, 2009

Making Waves

First I had to color the fondant gray so that it looked like a dolphins skin...

Then I frosted the cake. These are my favorite kinds of cakes to do because they don't have to be perfect. In fact, the more willy nilly the better...here I made waves.


Then I added the white caps or sea foam.


Then I started creating the underwater scenes.


And last, the dolphin on top.


Overall, I'm happy with it. It was the first time that I covered a shape with fondant-I've covered cakes before, but not a crazy shape like a dolphin. So...I'm happy with how ended up. The kids were amazed and Rye Bread really liked it. I heard her tell her little friends at least twice that her aunt was a cook....which I guess is why she's got cool cakes. :)

This was the actual day of her birthday-we had a store bought cake and she smashed her head into it...actually, we all took turns smashing her face into it, and it was the hardest I've laughed in a loooooong time. The colors actually kind of look pretty with here eyes!


Me and my Rye Bread. I wonder what next years cake will be!

10 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Hey - that turned out great, Mags! I'm sure whatever your niece dreams up for next year, you'll rock the house with it.

katherine. said...

you are way cool...and talented.

the cake looks great...the icing face adorable...but the picture of the two of you is really special!!

CrAzY Working Mom said...

It looks AMAZING, Mags! You did a terrific job and I can only imagine all of the compliments that you (and she) got. :) I ♥ it. She is such a big girl.

Marilyn said...

I wish I had an aunt like you when I was growing up. She's a lucky kid. Very cute too.

The cake turned out neat. Did they fight over who got to eat the dolphin?

Rocketstar said...

Very nice

Ivanhoe said...

How cool! :o)

Travis said...

Nicely done!

Clancy Pants said...

As always, you're spectacular! You never cease to amaze.

My mom made me a Cabbage Patch Kid cake for my (8th?) birthday. It was cool, but nothing like your creations!

(and Rye Bread's frosting face is AWESOME!)

Linda said...

What an adorable cake - that came out so good and I bet Rye Bread was totally ecstatic with it! Her aunt rocks!!

Lois Grebowski said...

I want cake!