Friday, March 27, 2009

Excitement & Confusion


I wasn't going to talk about it until next week because I don't want to jinx it, but I'm pretty excited at the moment. Earlier in the week I was searching the part time job postings and came upon one for an in home cook. This position would be for a local family 3 nights a week for a few hours-cooking dinner, cleaning up and then possibly reading to one of their children while the baby is being put to bed by the mom.

OMG-I really want this job! How neat would it be to cook for a family knowing that me being there helps them spend more quality time together?! And it's part time! No weekends! No sexual harassment from boys in the kitchen! (Hopefully!) The best part is that if/when I find a full time job, I can probably still keep this one because it's an evening position. WAY COOL.

I talked with the father tonight on the phone and he sounds quirky and fun. I am going to meet with them both next Friday evening. I am so super excited-keep your fingers crossed!

Today at the book fair I purchased a book on how to open a restaurant. I'm pretty sure that it'll be years before I can do this as I have nothing to put up for collateral and I have no savings anymore. But I'm still doing the research, looking around and getting my ducks in a row-you never know when an angel will swoop down and present a great opportunity. At least I don't have to worry about debt consolidation

I've been pondering something lately-I have no idea what my "signature dish" would be. People ask me ALL OF THE TIME what is my favorite thing to cook and what's my signature. I don't have an honest answer (I always make something up) because the truth is my favorite thing to cook is THEIR favorite thing to eat. I love cooking so much that whatever gives your tummy the greatest satisfaction is what I love to make.

But I feel like I do need a signature dish. And I have no idea what that would be. I have things I make that I know people love but my signature? I don't think so. I have a favorite dish from school that I make myself sometimes-but it's not mine really...I just stole it though I did make it into a salad which rocked the house.

What would impress you as an eater? What would you love to hear out of my mouth when asked, "What's your signature dish?"?

13 comments:

Melisa with one S said...

I don't have a quick answer for a signature dish, but I wanted to tell you GOOD LUCK! I hope you get this job! I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

xoxo

CrAzY Working Mom said...

Oh wow! How cool is this. If you lived close, I'd be willing to pay you to come cook for us too. *sigh* Oh, how I wish you lived close...

Travis said...

I've got my fingers crossed for you that this works out. And who knows...maybe you'll develop your signature dish cooking for this family.

One more thing...good for you for continuing to do the research on opening a restaurant. I always believe that you have to be prepared for the opportunity because you just never know when it'll be right in front of you.

Palm Springs Savant said...

oooo lots of luck with this Mags, I hope it pans out for you!

Mo said...

That would be an AWESOME part time job for you!
Personally, I think the mini-wellies should be your signature dish.
Or maybe those to-die for mole enchiladas... or maybe...
heheheee
Hope the rest of your weekend is superduper, just like you!

Lois Grebowski said...

that sounds like an awesome opportunity! I'm excited for you, too!

As for a signature dish, I'm with you in that it's one that makes the consumer happy. For me cooking is love....

Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Jamie said...

Keeping fingers crossed for you. Hope it all works out well. Signature dish? Make it a desert.

Now I have a thing about restaurants that serve Bread pudding and all the different ways it is served with the various additions. sauces and toppings. But people do love to go ooooh and aaaaah.

Rocketstar said...

Good luck on the pt job, it sounds interesting.

Marilyn said...

I was just thinking that if I had money I would totally hire you to be my personal chef. Dinner only, brunch on Saturday, two weeks off in July and $30,000/year. Of course, I'd have to make more than that and I don't so it isn't going to work out, but the thought counts for something.

Ivanhoe said...

I'm crossing all of my toes and fingers for you, Maggie! That would be an awesome part-time job for you :o)

john said...

good luck with the job

Carole said...

I think for your signature dish, maybe a good idea would be to pick a dish that's a twist on a comfort food, because it would probably sound good to just about anyone. Like if you said your signature dish was "Italian Macaroni and Cheese with Gorgonzola" - it sounds fancy, yet very appealing, rather than saying your signature dish was "Duck Confit with Mango Chutney" - fancy but, what the heck is that anyway?