Monday, February 23, 2009

Manic Monday: Fire

He had black roots and orangish blond hair that feathered on the sides when he ran his right hand through it. He did this constantly, almost like it was a nervous tick except that he was the coolest person in school, so it couldn't possible be a nervous tick.

He wore a macrame bracelet on that wrist; his nails were kept short-mainly because he chewed on them. I thought he was beautiful.

He was from the richest of the 3 towns that went to our school and normally that would mean that we would be a snob. But Gavin was the nicest boy I knew. It's probably why, on the first day of 7th grade, I went home and gushed about him to my Mom.

We were in a few classes together but it was Spanish class I enjoyed the most. Mainly because there were no kids with names that started with the letters E-I which meant that we got to sit right next to each other. Most of the time we'd just talk about things that 7th graders talk about-who likes who, who kissed who and who was going to the dance. (Ok...these were things that 7th graders USED to talk about.) Sometimes he would sing to me, even though I was the one in chorus.

This is why, on a Manic Monday whose word is "Fire", I am remembering Gavin. Whenever I hear the song "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel, it's Spanish class in 7th grade I think of with Gavin leaning over with his elbows on his knees, singing to me...

We didnt start the fire
It was always burning
Since the worlds been turning
We didnt start the fire
No we didnt light it
But we tried to fight it

It's too bad he went to private school for grades 9-12. He was fun.

9 comments:

silverneurotic said...

Well, maybe you'll "find" him again on Facebook or the like.

maryt/theteach said...

A "first" love, eh, Mags? I remember guys like Gavin. And that song, oh, I love it! Happy MM!

Ivanhoe said...

That's a great song :o)

My Autism Insights said...

Back when 7th grade was still innocent. What a great story!

Clancy Pants said...

Fun memory! I'm sorry he went to private school too...

Happy MM!!!!

Villager said...

Happy MM! Wow...this week's theme truly brought back a distant, but obviously pleasurable memory for you. Well done! You can probably find him on Facebook or LinkedIn if you so desire ... however, I think his memory is best left undisturbed by any 2009 reality!

I invite your blog readers to my tribute firefighters with a focus on historic fire chiefs around the nation.

peace, Villager

Palm Springs Savant said...

Hi Mags, sorry I've been away so long, just now catching up on things. hope all is well.

-rick

Travis said...

What a great memory.

Polly said...

I love friends like that...and those memories of them.