Sunday, January 04, 2009

What's Cookin'? Creamy Apple Tart

I've been away from this blog for a little while, mainly because I had a special guest visiting me since New Year's day. During this visit, we tested a recipe I've been wanting to try for quite some time-and let me just say, it was a huge hit! In fact, I was told by my guest that this rivals his all time favorite dessert that I make...so, I know it's good. :) Though it looks fancy, this is relatively easy to make, and is a great choice for a brunch or dinner party.



Creamy Apple Tart, Serves 8-10

CRUST:
3/4 C. Unsalted Butter, softened
1/2 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Flour
1/2 t. Vanilla Extract

FILLING:
16 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 C. Sugar
2 Eggs
3/4 t. Vanilla Extract

TOPPING:
3 C. Apples, Peeled, Cored & Sliced thin. (Granny Smith is best)
1/2 C. Sugar
1 t. Cinnamon

Method:

1. Make Crust: Combine the first four ingredients. Press onto the bottom of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Set Aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Pour over the crust. Set Aside.

3. Combine topping ingredients; arrange on filling.

Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until the center is set. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife.

Taken step by step, this tart can be made by even the beginner cook. The topping does not need to look fancy-simply spooning the apples on top of the cake evenly will give this tart a "homier" look.

13 comments:

Clancy In Idaho said...

I am SOOO making that one! It looks absolutely divine! And so beautiful! I'm glad to hear you've had company in your "off" time and that you've been cookin'!

Happy New Year!

Lois Grebowski said...

Oh yum! That looks sooooooo freaking good!

Lois Grebowski said...

**drool**

Jamie said...

OMG That looks so good. Tell me you can't gain weight just looking at pictures.

Marilyn said...

I will make this for a special occasion... maybe a visit from my husband.

Palm Springs Savant said...

"molto delicioso". I love apple anything. thanks for the sweet distraction mags
-rick

Melissa said...

Pardon me while I lick my screen! Yum-o!

Travis said...

Sounds yummy.

Linda said...

Not only does it look great but the recipe sounds like something even a culinary-challenged person like myself could do! I'm going to have to get some apples and give this a try!

By the by, I had an award for you over on my blog a couple days ago but I think I forgot to tell you about it. Sorry!

Danielle A. said...

Having tasted this and also thoroughly LOVING it - I've been ordered by my husband to make this the next time we have a potluck. This, of course, means he HAS to buy me a springform pan. ;)

Mo said...

cream cheese and apples
dude!

katherine. said...

very yummy...

I missed the post about who was visiting you...who has prior knowledge of your dessert skills...

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow that looks delicious. Do you think it can be made with raspberries? I have children that dont like cooked apples.