Saturday, January 10, 2009

Slumdog

Yesterday I was stuck inside waiting for my new printer to arrive. I was hoping that it would be delivered early so that I could get outside for a walk as it was a beautiful (cold) sunny day. Sadly, the printer didn't get delivered until about 4pm. I did get out for a little bit, but not long enough to pick my spirits up.

My sleep is seriously suffering. Bedtime is getting later and later which means wake up time is as well. The good news is that once I get to sleep, I usually stay that way-but it's still no good. My goal for today was to look at the job boards, apply to whatever was there and then get outside before it started snowing. Luckily, I managed to do that.

My initial thinking was that I was going to explore Chinatown, as I have not officially done that since moving here. Once I got there though, I decided that I was not in the mood and I didn't remember the book I have that tells me where I should go to eat. I could have winged it, but I just wasn't into wasting money on a chance. So I walked around a bit then wandered to Downtown Crossing where I was lured into Bath and Body Works. They were having their annual crazy sale, so I decided to walk in just for fun and also to get out of the cold. I ended up getting a $5 bottle of stress relieving body wash-it smells fantastic and is functional. That's how I justified it.

I didn't want to venture home just yet-I couldn't imagine sitting around all day. So I decided to do something I don't do very often anymore-go to the movies. What did I see, you ask?

Slumdog Millionaire. And I highly, highly recommend it. It was the best movie I've seen in a long, long time. I loved it.

If you are not familiar with the story, it's about a young Indian boy. We see him and his brother grow up in stages, all via flashbacks because he's telling his life story to police. You see, he found himself on the tv show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" and is accused of cheating.

Brothers, jumping on trains to get around-who needs travel deals?)

I know this doesn't sound very gripping. But trust me, pretty much right away you are sucked into the life of this little boy, Jamal, and you will be eager to see where he ends up.

Ultimately, this movie is about destiny. And love.

Seriously-go see it. It's playing in the theater up the street from me, and I might actually go see it again. It was that good.

I hope you all had a great Saturday, and that you have a great rest of the weekend.

7 comments:

Rocketstar said...

I've heard great things about the movie.

Denae said...

I've also heard it is a fantastic movie. Fabulous.

Lois Grebowski said...

I got a new printer, too... just a cheapo one for the RV...

Sounds like a great afternoon..

Palm Springs Savant said...

I met Freida Pinto from Slumdog, she was super nice. I want to see the film, we saw clips of it at the film fest. Its definitely on the list.

crazy working mom said...

I've not heard of this movie. But, that's nothing new. A lot of movies never make it to Arkansas...*sigh*

Mo said...

Slumdog just won the Golden Globe, over Benjamin Button - which I highly recommend.
I will have to catch Slumdog on DVD or HBO.
LOVE ya,
slumdog mo

Linda said...

I am so out of the loop - I've never even heard of this movie!

Sounds like a nice day out of the apartment, though. I could've used a nice day out of dispatch - ugh!