Sunday, January 04, 2009

Manic Monday: Sale

Mo's word today couldn't have been more right on with me today. As you know, I was laid off the week before Christmas and since then, I've pretty much been applying feverishly to the 3 jobs Boston has to offer (Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but you get the point) and worrying about what I'm going to do once my severance runs out at the end of this month.

Last week, Rick commented that perhaps I should look into starting a small mail order business to sell my baked goods. I've thought of this before, but never really got it up and running and so I took some time last night to set up my very own Etsy shop. I realize that this will not help me pay rent, but if successful, it WILL help me buy food, or get gas for the car, or other small things that I'll need along the way. There's certainly no pressure to check it out, or to buy anything-I just know that a lot of people read this blog, and perhaps putting it up here might result in a sale.

Facebook proved to be a good source for my Etsy shop-my 6th grade teacher purchased a rum cake from me right after I posted the link! :) At the very least, I now have something to do tomorrow-a reason to wake up if you will. (That sounds way more depressing than I feel-just...it's kind of true.)

So, check it out if you are interested-also, if you don't see something you'd like up there for sale, drop me a line! I'll add almost anything up there for you...

For sale:
Aunt Carol's Rum Cake
Friendship Bread
Salt Blends
Golden Cupcakes
Chocolate Chippers
Marshmallows
Cranberry Orange Bread

If you don't see any of these up there and would like to purchase one, please email me. It means that someone else has also ordered and I just have to add it back up on the board.

Also-I am not certain that the shipping price is right, though the post office says it is. If you place an order and the shipping ends up being significantly different, I will immediately refund you the difference.

17 comments:

Mo said...

congrats on your first sale!
Yay!!!

Lois Grebowski said...

YUM!

Ivanhoe said...

Oh my, those sound good. Let me go check them out ;o)

Bond said...

Nice idea...good luck to you...

Pictures of the food are in the video on The Couch

Thomas said...

Don't worry. Instead,

"Be the source! Be the source of that which you would choose for another. If you want more money in your life, be the source of more money in the life of another. If you want better relationships, better health, more love, then be the source for another and your life will become truly abundant."

carol g said...

Wishing you the best of luck in this venture - it's a great idea

Marilyn said...

That's an excellent idea! I hope you really rake in the sales. I've been thinking about trying Etsy for a while now, but I can't afford to blow any money on polymer clay.

silverneurotic said...

Oh, that food looks very yummy! Good luck with sales, hopefully I will be able to buy something soon.

Roxanne said...

Do you know how to make a chocolate meringue pie? My mom makes a great chocolate meringue pie but unfortunately she is in NC and I'm in Boston. I even have her recipe if you need one. I've tried making one and yeah, I can't do it.

Mags said...

Thanks everyone! So far, I've sold 2 Rum Cakes. Not bad for one day. :)

Roxanne: I'd LOVE the recipe. Email me if you can. :) Thanks.

katherine. said...

seems like a great idea! I know several people on Esty...but not for FOOD!

Linda said...

I really am amazed that one can sell food on Etsy and I sure hope that this takes off for you. Two sales in one day is most definitely a good start and I saw in a comment above that a Lemon Friendship Cake was ordered, too, which is fantastic! Not to mention yummy and someone is going to love it!

Desert Songbird said...

If I weren't so broke, I'd rush over there and place an order.

Ah...at least I can dream.

Roxanne said...

It's been a crazy busy week, but I will hunt down the recipe this weekend and email it to you. I don't know how shippable it would be, but if it's not maybe we can arrange a pickup. I would LOVE a chocolate meringue pie.

Mags said...

Roxanne-Thank you! I'm more than happy to arrange pickup-email me instead of going thru Etsy if you'd like to do that. :)

Palm Springs Savant said...

Lisa- GOOD LUCK. I hope this does help with extra money for you. I am happy that you pursued it. And for me, don't worry about the shipping if its less, keep the difference for time and handling-Rick

Travis said...

Good for you!

This puts me in mind of some of the success stories I see on Food Network. You know the people who enjoy cooking something, and one day they start selling some out of their home kitchen, and the next thing you know it explodes into a business.

Whether that happens for your or not, I wish you the best of luck!